collapse

Author Topic: Gemfest 2018?  (Read 9395 times)

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
Gemfest 2018?
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
Is this Event even on??? there is no info about it and I feel that time is too late for anyone to make any plans to attend... This has always been an issue with this event and I feel that the event will Die..... Well Done Emmaville Gemfest organisers... >:(

Gemster.... beers
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:44:18 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Gemfest 2018?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »
Anakie Gemfest was in August, Lismore is next May, Emmaville 29-30 September.
 beers
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 07:36:35 AM »
Event is on.

It is one of the more low-key events on the calendar but as I think Gemster and Bob (Lord Thunda) would realise after Gemorama, running/publicising these types of events is not as easy as it looks from the outside.  Lots of advice from everyone on how to do it better but when it is down to just a very small number of organisers (or even one), then there is only so much time, resources and manpower to throw at it.  I would hope that people out there give them a break and support them where they can.

Info here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/210490322947884/

LONG WEEKEND FAMILY FUN AT EMMAVILLE GEMFEST[/size]This October long weekend (actually 29 & 30 September) the Emmaville Gemfest is on again at Emmaville Caravan Park. Market stalls, field trips, local gems and minerals, trading. See fluorescent minerals at night. Visit the Emerald Mine.Ffull program of things to do and see all weekend. For bookings, information call Donna 0429 347 249 or 67347 240.

cheers
Leah
[/color]
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »
I agree Leah, Bob, myself and Others had emails flying between us about Gemorama (I should claim naming rights ;D) my point is, you would think that the WHOLE town would support each other.. ATM there is too much Us and Them...  Read between the lines on the flyer.. and see what I mean...  ::)
  And not every-one has Facebook... So things should be out there Everywhere... Not just on one platform... after all, we all have the same interests, Don't we?

First I heard of it running was through Bob 2 days ago... ::)

Gemster...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:29:19 PM by Gemster »

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »
I agree the word needs to get , out. To support  our hobby

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »
Hi Leah,

I know it is hard work but they don't help themselves either.  I helped, at no cost and significant time, to build all the updated registration forms and spent the time organising the event insurance (with $0 brokerage) for the event and Donna cut me off WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A WORD after and ignored my emails asking what was going on.  All over small town politics that I had nothing to do with!  (then happily used my forms again the next year).  So I can't help  but be a bit cynical when something is thrown up 2-3 weeks before the date with no detail!  FYI I also paid for the insurance upfront myself and let Donna reimburse me after the event!

That said - all that has been asked on multiple forums is for some basic details on trips.  I live in Sydney an I'm not going to travel that far just to go to Steve's emerald mine again (not that they've even confirmed that but UV night trip sounds like it - and the same as last year).

If you want to cut off a whole lot of free help who would also encourage other fossickers to come (I took 4 people up with me last time) then at least do a decent job of organising the event and putting the trip info out there!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:46:39 AM by MrSydney »

texta

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
thinking the wife and i might slip over and have a look at this event , never been to the museum either so we can have a look at that too . might even camp and make a 2 day thing out of it , at least our tent will get its second outing if nothing else.
its only about 2 hours from here .
johno

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 12:35:48 AM »
For the record, I have supported Gemfest & Minerama for the past 12 years. 2 years ago, I was asked to run the field trips which I did. Last year I offered to run them again & was told my services were no longer required. Same thing with Minerama field trips which I offered to help check out sites to make sure they were viable. Again I was told thanks but no thanks. That was when I decided to run Gemorama.

I had to pick a time that wouldn't clash with any other events. The Queens Birthday weekend was the only long weekend that was free with only one other event, Murwillumbah Crystal Show on that weekend.

As I had already run quite a few Gem Festivals in the past, most of the organising was easy with just a few things I didnt know about. Getting assistance from friends was one thing I am grateful for as I agree its not easy to run an event especially with limited funding being an inaugural event.

Advertising was done thru here, on numerous FB sites, word of mouth, local radio & thousands of fliers as well as emailing every lapidary club. I purposely kept my 3rd trip a secret to try to increase numbers as Qld doesnt have the public holiday on the Monday. Everyone who attended had a great time & feedback from various sites stated that those who didnt attend would definitely come next year. 

I am working on next years Gemorama & will be making sure numbers will be guaranteed to attend. This also includes tailgaters & the 2 dinners. I will have my 3 trips verified in the near future just working on final details.

As stated by Gemster, he does have naming rights  ;)  & politics does raise its ugly head.  :'(  As far as limited time goes, I gave myself 18 months to organise this years event. All the basics are in place with just minor tweaks to fix so will be advertising very soon for next year. I already have 2 major sponsors in place with a possible 3rd pending.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »
I wish I could go on some of those awesome gem show field trips. Maybe one day.
Only another coupe of weeks to go till robocup nationals and then I'm free. Might start going back down the Lune a bit,see if I can find another new fern spot.

texta

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 09:13:32 PM »
had to google robocup to just find out what the heck it is .
johno

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »
 :D It would be good to see you up here one day MakkyBrown.... beers We have soo many places to show you...Lol ;D
      Good luck with the RoboCup... ;)

Well said MrSydney and Lord T.... beers

Gemster.... beers

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
Just came across this info ....

Don't forget fossicking field trips all weekend. First stop Saturday, Emmaville Emerald Mine. Then on Sunday don't miss the action at Bullock Mountain Homestead, perfect for families.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
:D It would be good to see you up here one day MakkyBrown.... beers We have soo many places to show you...Lol ;D

Gemster.... beers
Thanks mate,I really want to get back up north again. Flat out at the moment less than a week to go. I'll upload a pic after comp.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »

Gemster.... beers
The team just won open soccer at the nationals :) and has qualified for the international comp in Sydney June next year. And I thought I'd be back fossicking again  ::)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
Gee, just found out wonderful Jetstar just cancelled our flight at 4am via text message, stuck in Melbourne for rest of day as the only flight we can get on 9pm tonight. Should have hired a car and gone fossicking.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:17:19 AM by MakkyBrown »

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]