collapse

Author Topic: is it cheating  (Read 9957 times)

grumpy

• ALF'er Bronze Member
is it cheating
« on: October 29, 2018, 09:44:33 PM »
hi not a newbie to the site but first post,hope this is in the right area. i have always wished to chase gems, gold, relics,and coins but with work commitments it never happened.things changed with the weather patterns in 2013 so it was time to chase the dream,a short talk to andrew confirmed the story that divining gems can work.so in april this year a mate,col and i shot through to the gem fields in qld ,i or col had never seen a sapphire so off to armfest to see what all the fuss is about the lady there was very helpfull showed us how to sieve use a willoughby and to tip and sought sapphire from the wash now to put it in practice,rules for the week 3 days at the willows,3  days at glenalva 3 days at washpool no holes deeper than 2 feet and only dig where the wires indacated to dig, if the wires indacated wash deeper than 2 feet it was not dug, had 1 week to see if the wires did work, tally for the week about 700 carats of sapphire with about 73 carats of cuttable stone,6 of the best stone's where left  with cols relly who is a jeweller gem cutter shane graded our stones for us will post photo's of stones when shane has cut them and get lessons from my son on how to put photo's in these machines that hate me so with a bit of luck should see some photo's till next time hooroo

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: is it cheating
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your finds.

I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to divining, so may have to challenge you to accompany me and prove it works if I ever get away to go fossicking.

In the meantime, as to your question ... conceptually I expect it is no more cheating to using a fish finder when fishing, except tjere is no machinery involved.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
Welcome to ALF Grumpy  :)

One of the last chats on divining is here http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=974.0

beers Jerry

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:00:52 AM by Jimnyjerry »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »
Not cheating, anything that makes you think/look out side the box so to speak, look where others haven't is a good thing. The first thing I do when I approach a fossicking area, especially one that has been heavily looked over, is stand and ponder it for a good while.
Sounds like you had a great trip grumpy, gives me something to dream about(yep using divining rods to find monster sapphires  ;D ) as I'd like to find some nice sapphires one day.  Congrats
  beers

grumpy

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
hi FlashGP never had any trouble finding water ,wires, peach tree wattle tree (green) don't like the wattle tree it is that violent the reaction it rips the skin and meat from the fingers, so a sceptic with sapphires yes i was but i did use my old wire rods and also aluminium rods found wash at the same depth as indicated by both wires but with me i have to be careful with the aluminium rods as we finished a hole picked the aluminium rods set of got a signal at the sorting table so col shifted the table a couple of meters away the wires took me back to the table so done the stamp about 1 and a 1/2 feet i looked at col and we both said bulls**t col grabbed a empty coke can from the car i walked over some ground no reaction so col  tossed it on the ground i walked over it wires crossed done the stamp 3 feet below the wires i have ducks disease my wires are about 3 feet from the ground so i should get some fuel money from empty aluminium cans my sister and i will be at agate creek maybe mount surprise,clermont and gem fields from late april to about end of may

grumpy

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
thanks for the welcome jimnyjerry thanks for the link to the  divining page interesting reading  beers

grumpy

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
hi MaKKyBrown yes i agree same with fishing hunting fossicking i adapt the words given to me by a very wise man (grandfather)when i wore a younger mans clothes and those words are (walks little looks a lot) you never know what you will see if you take your time  as i are only new to fossicking i have a lot to learn from the younger and older members on the forum but as you said cast the eyeballs over the area you never know what nature will tell you if you look for what is not there  beers

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
Hey Grumpy welcome to ALF.... Glad the Rods worked for you too... :D

Gemster....
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

grumpy

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
thanks for the welcome gemster beers

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 05:37:22 PM »
Firm believer in the rods but never thought to try for sapphires! Used them on our farm and got good water, also found a spot which we never drilled, could walk towards it from any direction and the wires would cross, for one session my wife blindfolded me,.... no difference, wires were spot on every time.

When you gave the rods a go grumpy, were you holding a sapphire in your hand, or simply aluminium rods?

slippery eel

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »
Have seen the rods used for sapphires at rubyvale. The user said it was not meant to locate individual stones but a water way or old creek bed the would contain sapphire. He located some stones but he was in a known sapphire area. Every little bit helps i suppose.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
Definitely not cheating, I'd love to see this work though, have heard of t but never seen it in operation, I remain open minded. With what you quoted about your finds though, it seems to have worked!
Common sense isn't exactly common

Recent Activities

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[Today at 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[Today at 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker
[March 26, 2024, 02:48:04 PM]

Garnet by RoughCreations
[March 26, 2024, 11:13:38 AM]