collapse

Author Topic: Topaz Tec XT6  (Read 2449 times)

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
Topaz Tec XT6
« on: June 05, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »
Been looking at an XT6 for the wife, never seen one before and can find nothing about them. Stunning machine, simple and beautifully engineered.

Does anyone know anything about this machine and what they might be worth?

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
Re: Topaz Tec XT6
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:01:44 PM »
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 03:18:22 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »
We went, we saw, we said WOW! :o :o :o and we bought! Now being stripped, cleaned, rebuilt correctly (damn tinkerers) and discovering what an amazing engineer Glen Booth was! It is a superb piece of engineering

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 03:53:08 PM »
Looking by the size of the dial gauge its a very big and well made machine. What's the pan made of?. It looks like chrome plated steel.

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »
One of these machines was donated to the Newcastle Lapidary Club some years ago. It seemed that there had been problems with the circuit board that controlled the machine's operation as there were notes about repairs that had been made to it.
We decided to replace the motor with a 12v DC motor  and a speed controller from Motion Dynamics and a transformer from the internet .Total cost less than $150. These items fitted neatly under the base.  Our Club has 2 Gemmastas and a Hall Extra but the Topaz Tec is the most favored by students.
I have cut some stones on it myself and I agree it is a well designed machine and a pleasure to use. A pity production of them ceased.
John

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »
Actually Frank, the machine is quite compact, smaller than a Gemmasta. The water pan and covers (2) are all spun aluminium then anodised like the rest of the machine.

Inner and outer mast are hard chromed then ground, every screw is stainless socket head. The more I worked on it the more I marveled, took me less than 5 minutes to align and level the laps to the mast to within a fraction of a gnat's whisker. Nothing on this is cheap.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
I agree looks a very nice machine. I love to see some more pics of it, faceting head from a few more angles :) One day if you have time.CheersMB

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
Some more detailed images:

I've removed the splash bowl, held on by 2 screws, nice and simple for thorough cleaning.

Down to the basics, the lap bearings still have to be checked, but everything is now clean

The underside, simple, uncluttered and protected electronics.

The head, (sorry a bit soft on focus), double sided 96 index, one for 8 multiples and the other side for 6 multiples, has to be aligned which is a bit tedious but sorting out a quicker system for aligning. Vernier scale for 1/10ths, 40mm DI and fine angle adjustment screw.

The splash bowl, height adjustable and comes with two different covers, one for the girdle and one for normal cutting. Made from spun ali and anodised.

The working side, simple cheater and the quill lock button at the very top. This is used for unscrewing the Dop clamp and changing the Index. The angle adjustment shaft, through the main mounting runs in a ball race, plus between the protractor backing plate and the mounting sits a 50mm thrust bearing, so you can nip the shaft nut until the head just holds in place and creeps instead of dropping, it naturally wants to sit with the quill vertical which is good. It is also a hard stop system which is out of view.

The lap adjusting screws, probably the simplest, easiest and quickest I have ever
encountered.

The slide on the transfer block travels on a linear bearing!

I have an engineering background so can recognise 'good' when I see it, this is superb, I cant think of any other words to describe the workmanship. Glen thought about virtually everything and did it exceptionally well.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 05:17:04 PM »
I've only heard of these before, haven't actually seen one. The photos show what looks like a reasonably quality, well built machine. Looks like you've scored quite well, Dihusky.
Common sense isn't exactly common

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 12:58:00 AM »
What kind of washer does it have between post and base? My 5XL doesn't have a washer there, metal to metal. What kind of washer does it have between nut that holds post in place? Mine has a 7/32" tall X .635" dia. nylon washer, sort of small. That post looks like it is held a little different. thanks
Steve

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 04:12:26 PM »
Steveo they are called Bellville washers, they are a cup spring washer which you can stack to create a spring. Mine are inner to inner contact so the outside of the washers make the contact face. If you look at the underside, there are 3 x stainless socket headed screws, each with 2 washers and an anti seize lubricant between the washers.

How you set the system up is to fit the lower bolts and lubed washers, apply loctite primer to the threads of both the adjuster post and the bolt, then place loctite 241 on the threads inside the post, fit the Bellville washers and screw the post to the bolt until you have sufficient tension from the Bellville washers for the bolt and post to move. Leave for the Loctite to set, around 3 hrs, then screw the lubed posts into the bearing housing leaving enough thread so the post can be rotated clock and anti-clockwise.

A note: Do not place the loctite 241 on the bolt or when you screw the post and bolt together, the airlock will push the loctite 241 off the thread, inside the post and the air pressure will provide a comprehensive coating.

Giel

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »
Ah now I see how you got the transfer jig..... ;D
Looks like a very nice machine, I have never seen one of these before.
I like the index wheel being on the back side of the facet head instead of the front away from water, dust and oxides.
Also very nice that the markings on the index wheel are so clear!

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker