collapse

Author Topic: Areas now Closed in Nth NSW..  (Read 11738 times)

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
Areas now Closed in Nth NSW..
« on: October 04, 2020, 06:54:04 PM »
New Signs have been posted at Torrington and are about to be erected in Stannifer and Tingha....
Parts of Torrington are now closed... Mainly Pacific Copper's area... That means no more Bismuth and Wolfram Hill... All private property now... To access the dam areas you must cross this Private Property and that is Trespassing and you will be Prosecuted for doing so...

Next area now closed is Stannifer and Tingha Plateau Conservation Area... Jellybean Crystals came from this area...

All these Closures have been bought about by those who like to Rape and take everything as well as using Power tools to Fossick...

I would put pics up but its too hard for a Gemster... But believe me, this IS very True... >:(

Gemster...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:56:12 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Lapis Lupinus

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Areas now Closed in Nth NSW..
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
That's sad to hear Gemster. Don't like it when another place or more is closed off.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »
Always sad to hear of more areas being closed off for fossicking, too many are for the reasons you've stated Gemster.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
Not good Gemster.  Looking on line at some of the clowns that have been hitting various spots that are clearly labelled as no camping and that have restrictions on them we can expect more to be closed  >:(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 07:15:31 AM »
Such disappointing news.  I can only hope its a temporary measure to stop the campers. :(

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 10:20:52 PM »
Only Yesterday there were 4 groups caught Illegal fossicking in the District... One brazen lot were digging within 40m of a NO FOSSICKING sign...  >:( 

Oh I would love to put the pics up that I have. Faces, rego numbers and ..

But I think they would be pulled down real quick unfortunately... ::)

Gemster...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:27:03 PM by Gemster »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
NPWS have turned a blind eye to Stannifer and Tingha for years. But,  it is a Conservation Area and NOT on the Approved list of Conservation Areas where you are allowed to Fossick.

But every day people are posting their finds on Social Media from that area... Funny how the signs went up 2 days before a Gem event was going to be held there... I know they are watching and the idea of 2 groups of 20 were due there, that has forced their hand...

Gemster...

Ranger Itchy

• ALF'er Gold Member
  • "A GOOD DAY IS WHEN YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 06:34:56 AM »
I used to go to Tingha and Stannifer to fossick all the way from Melbourne but now I can't except for the few private properties I have permission to go on, but these alone do not make the 3000 klm round trip worth the money I spend on fuel to get there and back, the camping fees at the caravan park and all the rest of the money I used to spend in these small towns, it is going to be the death nail for these towns on top of the Covid 19 restrictions!

Cheers Ranger Itchy beers beers
A great man once said "NEVER APOLIGIZE IT'S A SIGN OF WEAKNESS"
I don't mind being weak occasionally!!!!

bjm

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 06:48:23 AM »
Was only in Stannifer a couple of weeks ago.Got a few nice crystals and plenty of jellies.Tingha Cpk will probably dissappear.Owner said he wasnt taking out anybody onto private land anymore.Etc.These areas totally stuffed by tin mining in the past,are fossickers doing that much more damage ? Many parts of Tingha and Stannifer badly damaged by last years fires.Car wrecking yard a burnt out polluting eyesore.Now Torrington closing areas as well.Has there been official notification from NP.?

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
bjm, it's not necessarily about damage, but on private land it can come down to insurance risk as well. Conservation areas are there for just that, conservation of an area albeit as an old mining area or for its natural beauty. National Parks are no go areas in any state. The idea is either get an area declared as a fossicking area or try and avoid getting it called a National Park, Conservation Area or even a State Park.
Common sense isn't exactly common

bjm

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 06:30:33 AM »
Fully aware of legalities re fossicking on private land etc.N.Ps etc However the restrictions are getting so tight that any public fossicking will soon become impossible.Just have to look at the problems Minerama /Inverell Gemfest have  finding nejw fossicking areas.

freshhilltopherbs

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »
The problem is that it is not fossicking any more it is all about selling your finds, not adding to your collection. People come from all over the country to take as much as they can get their hands on to sell to recoup fuel ect not to collect for their own collections.
I went to Tingha early this year and was horrified with the destruction I saw. It looked like a war zone, unfilled holes tracks pushed in everywhere, rubbish from campsites, no wonder they have closed it down.

Ranger Itchy

• ALF'er Gold Member
  • "A GOOD DAY IS WHEN YOU WAKE IN THE MORNING"
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 06:06:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

I agree with freshhilltopherbs, GREED drives a lot of fossickers these days, I'm a member on a few Lapidary FB pages and every day there are posts about, I found this, what is it? how much is it worth?

These people are obviously new to lapidary and are only in it for what they can make out of it! most of the time the stuff they are asking about is crap that I wouldn't even glance at, but they ask anyway because they are so desperate to profit from it.

I have found most of these people are either Gen Y, Gen Z, Millennials and the occasional Gen X, I don't know why the younger generations are like this but they have no respect for anything, anyone or themselves. Perfect example is my son, Millennial! he was raised well, taught to respect things, others ect ect, but you walk into his bedroom and it looks like a bomb has gone off in there! There's dirty dishes, discarded food wrappers, dirty clothes, even clean clothes all over the floor! I don't know how he can live like that! It annoys the piss out of me and you ask him to tidy up and he says yeh, yeh later, but it never happens.

Another example is, I drive a garbage truck for a living and have done for the last 35 years. If I take a day off or an RDO and one of the other drivers(Gen Y,Gen Z) does my run, I get in my truck the next day and there are food wrappers on the passenger floor, dirty tissues stuff in the drivers door pocket, for Christ sake have some respect, you're driving a mobile garbage bin! throw it in the back! You go to the tip every day throw it out there! No they leave it where other work! WHY? I think it's because they have no respect for others or themselves!

It's the same out in the bush around fossicking areas, they camp, rape the land, then leave a deposit(rubbish) in return!

It's all about RESPECT and there is none these days, it's every man for himself!

Sorry about the rant, but this topic annoys the hell out of me!

Cheers Ranger Itchy beers
A great man once said "NEVER APOLIGIZE IT'S A SIGN OF WEAKNESS"
I don't mind being weak occasionally!!!!

swirly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:17 AM »
i live in wangaratta vic and spend a lot of time fossicking  in eldorado there plenty of rubbish stolen cars garden clippings being dumped in the bush plus large unfilled holes screaming motor bikes tearing the bush tracks to pieces also four wheel drives doing the same so the problem is not just in nsw.

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 08:09:20 AM »
Hi Swirly. So sad to be reading about the dumped cars and huge holes at Eldorado. I haven't been up that way since I caught up with you a couple of years ago.  Its so disappointing that there are ingrates that are doing the wrong thing anywhere in our beautiful bush. I too like Itchy states , believe its the younger generations that have no regard for keeping any space clean. The only thing we older and more responsible visitors of the bush is to remove the the rubbish left behind and fill large holes.

Cheers  beers

Recent Activities

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[Today at 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[Today at 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker
[March 26, 2024, 02:48:04 PM]

Garnet by RoughCreations
[March 26, 2024, 11:13:38 AM]