collapse

Author Topic: Diffuse windowing  (Read 467 times)

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Diffuse windowing
« on: May 28, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
 Recently finished a 6c beryl using a design which incorporates shaded facets on the pavilion and discovered the shaded facets allow colour into the culet which then colours the whole stone. Discovered this as I punched a hole in the white liner of the gembox to fit the stone in and the yellow foam below the white surface showed up in the culet. Turns light green beryl into light yellow beryl. I guess unpolished pavilion facets allow diffuse light through in both directions regardless of their angle!
Life isn't a rehearsal.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Diffuse windowing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 05:28:46 PM »
That is interesting. Was it one of my designs ? With pavilion frosting I often try and direct light onto the frosting. Which illuminates it.  It would be interesting if colour is still picked up like your getting. I've also being playing with bi-color renderings and noticed with crown frosting that for frosted areas the stone surface colour is visible not the color picked along the light path(that would be shown if the facet was polished) .  I haven't test cut this yet to get a better understanding.
MB

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 05:49:21 PM »
Er no its 4 Cone Burst by Carl Pepka found on facebook site. I liked the rendered cut but some reservation about the real thing. The main axis of the table is off set by about 5* from the main axis of the girdle outline making it appear odd shaped from some viewing angles. I intend to try his pavilion with your symmetrical crown ( Four Seasons) which may be interesting. I put couple photos in the Gallery.

Edited by an admin to add photo

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:24:51 PM by Aussie Sapphire »
Life isn't a rehearsal.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 11:06:19 PM »
I'm not sure why you would offset on this design. Years ago I played around with offsetting trying to increase dispersion.
Getting the pattern replication/cone effect at lower RI is tricky without using frosting. The effect(frosted) works pretty well on topaz but light output is not really high and doesn't perform really well on coloured material. At low RI the best success I had with pattern replication was using a high powered trillion based pavilion. Probably my best low RI pattern replication design is Fireworks book2.If you want a square I can have a go and see what I can come up with :) Four Season with edge outline frosting and re optimized might be pretty good.MB

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 12:50:39 AM »
I like the pavilion on Carl's design using frosting on facet edges.The Offset of the table is a result of his design of the crown facet pattern thus I thought to try using your crown from "4 seasons" as it is symmetrical. Yes be using Citrine so will adjust the crown angles, and fit to an 8 sided stone. Noted light output may not be high but the simple 42*radiant pavilion was quite bright in beryl. Bit short of high RI natural rough to play with. Why he offset the table perhaps to get the small rectangle facets but they aren't essential. I see Fireworks Bk2 but I will try my 4 cone burst/seasons first as I like to experiment thankyou for the offer. Just starting another pale green beryl in Spellbound design another using frosting, perhaps I could back it with green and turn it into an emerald :)    beers Ted   
Life isn't a rehearsal.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 09:48:22 AM »
I was thinking Carl's was a spellbound style looking at the gem as I had not seen his design. Worth optimizing in gcs if adding the 4 Season crown, I can merge them/optimize if you send me the pavilion.
CheersMB

Tags:

Recent Activities

Mounting stone on Dopp stick by MakkyBrown
[December 04, 2021, 10:51:19 PM]

Forum Financial Update/Hosting/Domain by Faceting Frank
[December 04, 2021, 09:05:56 PM]

Joke of the Day by Ghost
[December 04, 2021, 03:12:22 PM]

Powelltown, Cardinia Creek, and Dolly's Creek Victoria gemstone locations. by HarknessHunter
[December 01, 2021, 05:36:36 PM]

Cutting Slabs - looking forward a service by Bucket
[November 28, 2021, 05:55:22 PM]

Frankston and Peninsula Lapidary Club by MALACHI
[November 27, 2021, 07:36:43 AM]

Tool suggestions for gemstone newbie by HarknessHunter
[November 23, 2021, 08:48:07 AM]

Dopping with epoxy by Bucket
[November 22, 2021, 09:50:14 AM]

Newbie looking to fossick around brisbane area by Jimnyjerry
[November 22, 2021, 08:01:08 AM]

Making your own concave cutter mandrels by Faceting Frank