collapse

Author Topic: CLOSURE OF ALF  (Read 9435 times)

pito

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Re: CLOSURE OF ALF
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
Hi,  This has been a wonderful site that contains a lot of valuable/informative information - it would be an absolute travesty if access to this information is lost.  Surely it is up to us members to assist financially by way of an annual fee to cover the fixed upfront costs of hosting the forum. Looking at the statistics of who is online there is always a large number of Guests and a total of 4487 members, Now all of those members are probably not active on the site - I read it every couple of days - I know I have not been openly active as many members are, but I do contact people directly when they have asked for help or advise by way of a PM but surely there are say 100 to 300 members who would be happy with an annual fee which would give them access to the history and gallery and restrict "Guests" to index and "recent activities" for example. Thank you Makky Brown for taking up the gauntlet of trying to keep this forum open. Maybe it is a possibility to explore charging suppliers other than Aussie Sapphire a small  advertising fee particularly if we purchase from them some how thru the forum - that way they get feedback if it is worthwhile for them to advertise on the forum - just a thought.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
Hi pito,
Atm, if i was to take it on, $$ aren't my biggest concern as I'm happy to put profits from my faceting books sales into the site. Depending on hosting costs.
My biggest concern is time and not being able to keep an eye on it everyday to moderate content/approve new users/deal with any disputes(hopefully rarely). etc. I'd really like to try and keep the site free, and without significant advertising. Especially advertising in direct competition to AussieSapphire as they have developed and ran this site for over a decade.

CheersMB

pito

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »
Hi I sent you an email of my time I could help with - I should have sent a PM sorry

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
I sent Mackky a PM regarding my support for the forum. I noticed that pito suggested restricting activity to none members.
I was until a few months ago a member of a boating-fishing forum, I was an active member for about 10 years and put over 2,000 posts on it. The forum was an endless conveyor belt of new members mostly asking questions and a much slower belt of hardcore members. A new admin. late last year thought it was a good idea to shut the general public out. It killed it, the public couldn't see the goodies in the shop window and activity plummeted.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2021, 10:46:22 PM »
Why wouldn't the running costs be a Tax Deduction ???? After all isn't it part of Australian Lapidary Supplies ?   

Gemster....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:49:00 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »
Why wouldn't the running costs be a Tax Deduction ???? After all isn't it part of Australian Lapidary Supplies ?   

Gemster....

Yes it is a tax deduction but that does not mean zero cost.  And we can no longer justify that cost.
Plus other considerations (eg. time, stress of keeping the forum running, etc) also cost.

But doing everything we can to help Makky take over if at all possible.

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 08:38:12 AM »
Looked at the forum every morning since February 2009, 3 months after it was created.   Sent 4 or 5 messages to the Moderator re suspect posts.
Willing to continue doing so as long as I can and also to pay an annual membership fee.
The closing of ALF would be like losing a much loved member of the family and be very sad indeed.
Many thanks to Aussie Sapphire for providing the forum.   Many thanks to Makky for trying to keep it going.
Best of luck Makky.
Regards,   Ghost.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »
Hi,

Very say!  I have also sent a message to Makky to get an idea of how I can help.  I  have no idea of the cost or effort involved.

Thanks so much for all your efforts Peter and Leah.

I think last year was quieter as a lot of people found it hard to get out.  I did note that posting had dropped but didn't know that was because of something a newer moderator did!?

Let's try work something out!

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
I think last year was quieter as a lot of people found it hard to get out.  I did note that posting had dropped but didn't know that was because of something a newer moderator did!?

No change in moderation policy since the forum started.  Perhaps you are right that where people are not getting out, there is less to talk about.

Cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
Thank you to everyone offering support, I haven't had time to reply to all messages. I am very optimistic the forum can be kept going.  If it does go down for a short period of time in the coming week or so I will be doing all I can to bring it back,  so please keep checking if it is working.
And a big note of thanks to Leah for helping with everything, appreciating your help as it is a big learn curve for me.
CheersMB
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 05:46:31 PM by MakkyBrown »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 09:07:38 PM »
Its the same right across all platforms concerning Fossicking Prospecting and Treasure hunting, Camping, Fishing ect....No ones been able to get out and do what they love for over 12mths... But things are slowly coming back... But some are still worried about getting trapped in another State at a moments notice... :-\

MB I sent you an Email... :)

Gemster...

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 01:03:56 AM »
PM sent MB.... ;D

Gemster...

Nutters

• ALF'er Bronze Member
  • Handy at most things I put my mind to.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 07:49:50 PM »
Hi Makky and Leah,
I am looking down the barrel of full time retirement.
I am both a faccetter/ rock hound collector with an IT background.
I would be hsppy to have a look at moderating the forum to keep it up and give you guys a well deserved bteak from it.
Sorry I still have aneasthetic eyes. lol

Nutters
Nutters

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
Hello Nutters,
Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it one day :)  Atm, I think we should be ok. I have just add 5 new MODS and another Admin account for RoughCreations who also has an IT background, he has help me greatly transferring the site and getting on top of it all.  I am actually looking forward to it now I am up to speed on the software.
CheersMB

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 09:21:19 AM »
Thanks so much MB.
Steve

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]