collapse

Author Topic: Old Hall roughout adapter?  (Read 6616 times)

Nutters

• ALF'er Bronze Member
  • Handy at most things I put my mind to.
Old Hall roughout adapter?
« on: March 05, 2021, 07:29:53 PM »
Guys, I have inherited (well, I my wife has) his old Hall MK 3(I think).Along with it and there wascthis curious adapter.
I gave Unamit a call and Peter regognised it as an old roughout adapter. Apparently there are cams that are probably still in boxes but I would like to get a good handle on how it wad used with the different cams. I believe one cam was even egg shaped. (I shouldnt post when I just came out of surgery in hospital), any way I would like to know more abouy it and a shot of what the cams are to look out for.
I am just curious how it all worked.
Thanks in advance,
Nutters
Nutters

geowork

• ALF'er Silver Member
Re: Old Hall roughout adapter?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
It is a Hall Preformer. There are probably no multiple cams. There is a single "infinite" cam, and it is missing. The infinite cam is a single piece that continuously tapers from a circle (or close to) at one end to a larger L/W oval at the other. Ovals of any L/W can be preformed. I can post a picture in a couple of days if required. Maybe Laurie Hall did similar infinite cams of other shapes, but I am not aware and have never seen or heard of them.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:07:19 AM by geowork »

Nutters

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:20:06 AM »
That would be great Bill,
But only when you get a chance.

Nutters
Nutters

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 10:46:36 AM »
Hi Nutters,
You might find adding images to the gallery works better for you. If you add them to the gallery you can then copy html code to embed them in your post. I've increased the size of the attachments folder quite a bit as there have been issues in the past with it filling up. Adding images to the gallery also will make them appear in the "New Items" thumbs nails now shown on both the HOME and FORUM.
There maybe restrictions on being able to post images in the gallery based on number of posts,  I will have to look into that. When I get time I will have to look what currently is in the attachments folder and ways to organize it.

CheersMB

geowork

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
Nutters,
I had an archive picture of the preformer with the infinite cam in place. Picture placed in Gallery.

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/gallery/9/38159-060321120603.jpeg

All the best
Bill

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:46:58 PM »
Geowork, If you scroll down on the galley page of the image, you will see image linking codes. Right click in the box for say "medium images code", select all, paste into your post.That is a pretty cool preformer cam I've not seen one like it before.  I want to play with preformers sometime, I was going to 3d print them but will probably mill them out of aluminum. Also thinking about making design specific cams.
CheersMB

Pete49

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:25:42 PM »
Makky maybe 3D print them first and see if they give the shape you want before machining them. Saves on ali. Its what I did when trying to build a new steam model I had downloaded.
Found a fault in the design so saved a bit of brass.
Pete

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
I'm glad you posted that photo Bill, I was scratching my head wondering what an infinite cam was, simple really.
I had a preformer for my Gemmasta, Very similar to that one actually, with a protractor to set the angle. I only ever used it occasionally for roughing a simple cone for standard brilliants and the like, I never tried the ovals.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 09:59:49 PM »
Makky maybe 3D print them first and see if they give the shape you want before machining them. Saves on ali. Its what I did when trying to build a new steam model I had downloaded.
Found a fault in the design so saved a bit of brass.
Pete
My 3D printer is unfortunately in a bit of a sad state Pete :) and it is just slow. I'm been cutting quite a few parts out of plastic. Was was fortunate to be given some delrin acetal , amazingly easy to work with and very strong.
CheersMB

Pete49

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
Try a Creality 3 v2 Printer. Good value and reasonably quiet.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 02:17:50 PM »
Yeah I probably should just buy one but I see all the bits from my old printer i built just sitting there and i get tempted to build another one.
I was thinking of buying a new extruder but maybe I should just get  a full machine seeing i am a bit over run with other projects :)
MB

Nutters

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
MB,
Santa found me a resin printer- an ELEGOO Mars 2 Pro, I am using water washable resins that area lot less smelly and no need for isopropyl. From what I can work out the UV cured resin might be a little bit softer than extruded models. The definition is definitely there, 0.05mm per layer but cured hardness may be a trade-off depending on what direction the print is layered. I will have to check that out.
Maybe I can up my 3D design skills and make some different shapes for this preformer to see how how much fun it is...  or not.
In the mean time I will keep an eye out for "missing" cam/s.
Nutters

Nutters

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
Sorry Bill for the double post,
what purpose does the ali disk on the end of the shaft play?
Nutters

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
MB,
Santa found me a resin printer- an ELEGOO Mars 2 Pro, I am using water washable resins that area lot less smelly and no need for isopropyl. From what I can work out the UV cured resin might be a little bit softer than extruded models. The definition is definitely there, 0.05mm per layer but cured hardness may be a trade-off depending on what direction the print is layered. I will have to check that out.
Maybe I can up my 3D design skills and make some different shapes for this preformer to see how how much fun it is...  or not.
In the mean time I will keep an eye out for "missing" cam/s.
Gee printers have come a long way since I last looked Nutters, those resin prints look super cool  ;D and not real expensive. Might have to get one later in the year.

Recent Activities

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[Today at 11:55:06 AM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[Today at 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[Today at 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat