collapse

Author Topic: MB Faceting Machine Build  (Read 11125 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
MB Faceting Machine Build
« on: April 29, 2021, 08:28:39 PM »
New thread as this will get long :)Some parts arrived today. The cast plate 450x300x12.7mm and the vertical carriage assembly.So I just had to fit the stepper and handle :)Both the plate and carriage assembly are not perfect and both are slightly out. The aluminum extrusion on the carriage assembly is slightly bent.In terms of how out it is,  if lay the carriage assembly on the plate, gaps are less than 0.05mm. I knew the plate would be out a bit but expected the carriage to be slightly better. It will have to do.I purchased the 300mm stroke carriage assembly, in hindsight I should have got the 250mm one as it is plenty long enough. Who knows the extra height may come in handy one day.

MB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: MB Faceting Machine Build
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 08:39:55 PM »
I think I'll have to cut about 70mm off it but will only do that when finished so I don't stuff up and cut it too short.
MB

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
Excited to watch this process Makky(are you sure you don't want to copyright it first?)  ??? There's others who'll be watching that will... just sayin....
Keep em comin!!!

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
If you need to cast some aluminium components for the build, let me know. Small parts could be done lost-wax, larger parts using sand casting +/- the lost-foam method.
RC
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
If you need to cast some aluminium components for the build, let me know. Small parts could be done lost-wax, larger parts using sand casting +/- the lost-foam method.
RC
Gee RC I didn't think of casting I should have. I have heaps of scrap alloy. I need to cast a piece for the spindle similar to what is in Franks diagram. Probably just a 50mm round with a flange on it then I will finish it in the lathe. I might even be able to make a cheap mold myself.
CheersMB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 02:10:03 PM »
Excited to watch this process Makky(are you sure you don't want to copyright it first?)  There's others who'll be watching that will... just sayin....
???
Nah, this is a one off and I am not sure how well it will work. Mast will be good index might not and I'll have to revert back to standard.. And I probably won't share all the code and electronics. I've good some good bits squirrel away like a +$1300USD maxon motor, I got for $26.  ;D

BUT I'd love to put together a kit for people to build a good cheap affordable faceting machine. A  decent machine is stopping a lot of people getting into a great hobby.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »
Gee RC I didn't think of casting I should have. I have heaps of scrap alloy. I need to cast a piece for the spindle similar to what is in Franks diagram. Probably just a 50mm round with a flange on it then I will finish it in the lathe. I might even be able to make a cheap mold myself.
CheersMB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-5jDdtOXg
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 07:40:34 PM »
Not a fan of making things from big chunks. I had access to a big milling machine a few years back and carved the items shown in this picture (my current machine) from one lump of 100x25mm flat bar. That was for the last machine I made. I don’t know how you guys go but I can’t get many things right the first time and making mods was a real pain. Being able to take it apart and fix things was so much easier.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
That carriage looks good, might have to get myself a one.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 11:15:25 PM »
Modeling it all before cutting helps a lot. I haven't started yet but will once all the bits arrive and I get a clearer picture. I've got a small milling vice coming for my sort of router mill so I will be able to turn parts over accurately which should help with some parts.
The carriage is very nice, the extrusion is made for it. It has a channel below the linear slide with square nuts in it to bolt the slide to. I've going to control the stepper with a joystick, maybe a key pad aswell. I was thinking of being able to save heights for each facet tier and also have lap offsets for different laps.
MB
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:01:45 AM by MakkyBrown »

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 06:48:46 PM »
Had a bit of a go this arvo and have attached a camera mount. I think I have the height range I'll need(it has heaps of adjustment on the lead screw) and it will move up and down with the carriage so shouldn't need major adjustment when set. I will be replacing the attachment ring to fine tune the camera position to the up position of the handpiece. They forgot to send be the 40-50mm ring adapter so I'm holding the camera roughly where it goes in the photo. If it doesn't work only two screws to undo.
Using the stepper to change height, weight is no longer a factor of concern.Field trip to Milton tomorrow with the lapidary club.

MB

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:00:34 PM by MakkyBrown »

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »
I take it that this leadscrew is going to be the mast, the same as the Ultratec?

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 08:36:15 PM »
Yes, very similar to yours and the ultratech. Linear slide + ballscrew is the best option, minimal play. Combine with the stepper should be really nice. I'm going to bolt it down on to a couple more linear slides so it will freely slide without having to loosen the mast to move it.

MB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 06:42:56 PM »
I have purchased lot of stuff. I have planned it all roughly but I am concerned about the index being powered by the stepper I have chosen. The stepper will have an encoder on it which won't drift like the stepper might a bit. But there will be lots of wires and I will have to use a 12 wire slip ring or the wires will get in the way. Incorporating both the slip ring and angle encoder into the faceting head will be a bit tricky. I'm planning on using 1/8 microstepping and am concerned if I'll have enough holding torque to cut facets with. It might be as low as roughly 700-800g/cm. Motor temperature spending lots of hours holding position could see me having to de-tune it more further reduction holding torque. Maybe I need a bigger motor but then it all gets heavier and the weight will start to compromise the action of moving the hand piece when moved up/down etc.
I am going to have to test the stepper indexing first before committing too it. More accurate options exist but then everything gets bigger and more complicated. I may have to revert back to using a standard index wheel which I don't really want to.

MB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 11:37:43 PM »
Just been making some parts. Got the spindle hub as good as I can(0.012mm run out), took me awhile as I'm not much of a machinist :)

Recent Activities

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[Today at 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[Today at 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker
[March 26, 2024, 02:48:04 PM]

Garnet by RoughCreations
[March 26, 2024, 11:13:38 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank