collapse

Author Topic: Trip Advice  (Read 146 times)

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • MSN Messenger - colbell57@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Trip Advice
« on: April 30, 2021, 09:12:04 AM »
Hi everyone, I am planning a trip in about a fortnight, heading to Bellata NSW to hunt down some of those agates up there, also to Bingara am basing myself at Narrabri and am also heading to Lightning Ridge for a couple of days have a mate that has a min there and has invited me to come up.  Can anybody suggest any spots around Bellata, Bingara, and Tingha that could be worth looking at.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trip Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 10:06:28 AM »
Hi Tinker,

I'll be curious to see what people respond with.  Have you searched the threads using the search function?

I know people always talk about the guys at the Tingha Caravan park being really helpful as well as Sean from Jellybean Junction who I think is technically in Stannifer right near Tingha - so worth searching for Stannifer too.  Basically there is the reserve right near Stannifer you can go into but not all areas - been a lot on some of the Facebook groups about it but I can't give you any specifics sorry.  Tingha Sands used to be good but doesn't allow people in any more.

Looking forward to seeing if others add anything.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 02:25:36 PM »
Could be worth a quick dig around the old Rhodonite mine near Bingara while you have some lunch one day.

MB

fossickeract

• ALF'er VIP
    • MSN Messenger - ted_glanville@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »
Hi Tinker, 
   I have made a few trips to that area some of my info may be out of date so follow at your own risk. Google maps should help, Before Bingara a couple of stops 3 Creeks goldmine and Ruby Hill. The latter is a fossicking reserve with a track around the back of a hill. Tiny garnets there although bigger ones reported in front facing the road. Needs sieves. Tourist Inf. in Bingara had a nice display of local diamonds as did Inverell.       A creek crossing the Bingara/ Copeton Rd  (Porcupine Creek according to Google) has boulders of red jasper and green serpentinite the later quite jade like. Closer to Inverell on the same road is Staggy Creek reserve, entry permission to fossicking reserve via Inverell Tourist Inf. There you may find zircons, topaz and diamonds very fine sieve needed for the latter. A story about Staggy Creek fossicking reserve it was a diamond mining site but the fossicking site was sold now in private paddock next door and a patch of forest proclaimed the fossicking reserve regardless of its merits or not. Cluff resources came to the rescue of a 1970's fossicking festival and dumped a truck load of diamond bearing ironstone conglomerate next to the litte dam on the hill top. Its still there. too hard to process without breaking anything in it. Still something may have weathered out in 50 years.
    Can recommend Billabong Blue for some sapphire/zircon  sieving. Revealed enough secrets for now! Will post a pic of the serpentinite.   beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »
Check out my blogs and videos. Sorry there are no recent additions. The Shoalhaven blogs are in a listing of their own.
https://johnsnewenglandminerals.blogspot.com/2013/12/list-of-all-blog-entries-to-date.html .
John Paix (otherwise findem)

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • MSN Messenger - colbell57@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:32:13 AM »
Thanks for the information gents. beers

Tags:

Recent Activities

I've got a lot of raw boulder opals for sale lovely varieties in colour by Emma Barwick
[Today at 08:40:35 AM]

MB Faceting Machine Build by MakkyBrown
[May 05, 2021, 11:37:43 PM]

fullarton river garnet by Emma Barwick
[May 05, 2021, 02:13:17 PM]

faceting machine digital microscope setup by Faceting Frank
[May 04, 2021, 06:23:36 PM]

Looking for interest in sapphires as I have some I'm interested in Selling by MakkyBrown
[May 04, 2021, 04:33:02 PM]

Trip Advice by tinker
[May 03, 2021, 10:32:13 AM]

Jewelers spectacle magnifiers by MakkyBrown
[May 01, 2021, 08:51:12 PM]

opal enthusiasts? by harryopal
[May 01, 2021, 06:40:41 PM]

Sapphire cabbing diamond wheels by MakkyBrown
[April 30, 2021, 02:21:00 PM]

DIY Cabbing Machine by Faceting Frank
[April 29, 2021, 10:21:56 PM]

Facetron wandering dial indicator issue by RoughCreations