collapse

Author Topic: faceting machine digital microscope setup  (Read 1897 times)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Re: faceting machine digital microscope setup
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 08:13:45 PM »
This is the fine adjustment setup I’ve made to fit on the end of the wooden mast and boom I’m using to fit the scope to. Will post some closeup pics and details of each component shortly.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 07:04:35 PM »
The scope comes with a little swivel stand that a ball on the end of the scope support fits into. This ball has to be ground down so the stem is round and fits into whatever is made to support the scope, in my case threaded.
The fine adjustments don’t need anything elaborate and can be positioned accurately just by hand.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 11:09:51 AM »
This is the pavilion of the same stone. The facet numbers are the same as are on the cutting instructions. Now cutting the 3k pre-polish, 1, 5 and 6 are finished 3 and 4 are still at the 1200 grit stage. Busy cutting facet 2, difficult to see meet point B in the photo, so drew it, as you can see meet point A is close to finished.
The light is angled to show up the scratches from the 3k, but I found that if you wipe the stone over a stationary lap, with the scratches going in a different direction. They don’t show up, as you can see in area C.
So have found that in situations like this where I need to alter the facet angle. I can wipe the facet on a stationary lap, alter the angle and start cutting again. This is in area D and it will progress towards meet point A as I continue to cut. So, I can alter the angle so area D meets meet point A and B at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:15:37 PM by Faceting Frank »

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 01:35:28 PM »
Hi Frank,  thank you for putting up your innovation.  I purchased a $25 microscope on a gooseneck from Banggood and am testing it out now. 

I’m impressed.  It is much faster and easier on my neck than the Belmo loupe.

I had a plastic clamp for mounting a holder for an Ozito flex shaft that clamps to my Facetron’s faceting head.  A piece of 3mm x 30mm aluminium bar is the mounting for the gooseneck.  It was tapped with a 1/4 20t tap for the gooseneck to screw into and then screwed to the top of the clamp.

Because the microscope pivots with the quill, I can reflect light off the facets just as I do with the loupe.

https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=9643

https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/gallery/9/6695-270621133955.jpeg

Most impressed.  Thank you.

PS, sorry if the photos are sideways, I took them with an Apple phone that has a mind of its own.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:47:22 PM by FlashGP »
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 02:00:10 PM »
Looks good and thanks for the comments.
Still learning and will be adding more info as I find things out. Such as painting the part of the stone that is attached to the quill with artists black acrylic paint to stop back light coming through.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »
The only issue I had was that the microscope shipped with instructions for a more expensive wifi model and I couldn’t get it to work.  It took about 2 hours to work out it won’t work with my tablet or an Apple phone ( no surprise there it won’t talk to non Apple products).  It would only work with my laptop.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 02:29:14 PM »
I had that problem. The one that you see in the pics would only work on my laptop and not my PC. But noticed on the box there was no mention of it working with windows 10. So bought another, same model, that came with software claiming it worked on windows 10, which it did and works on my PC.
Tried it on the laptop and it wouldn't work with the software for the other scope. Didn't want to stuff everything up by loading the windows 10 software onto my laptop. Even though the laptop was upgraded to windows 10 years ago.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »
I found a windows 10 app called USB camera that worked.  Nearly all the apps for USB cameras and endoscopes need compatibility with ocb and this scope isn’t compatible.

My tablet is a Chromebook running Android with Linux compatibility.  I’ll have to see if I can get a Linux programme for the camera.  It’ll be easier as the keyboard detaches and it is more compact
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
Whatever you end up using Gordon, it will need a decent size screen. Some of the scopes I see advertised on eBay have a tiny built in screen, which to me is useless.

Further to facet number 2, this is a closeup of meet points A and B.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:17:00 PM by Faceting Frank »

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 11:34:57 PM »
Thanks Frank,  at this stage I am experimenting with different lighting setups to see the meet points.  The app I found doesn’t let me zoom in.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2021, 07:26:57 AM »
Mine doesn't zoom either, that's why I had to make the Z axis adjustment to the contraption I have that the scope is fitted to.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 04:16:46 PM »
This is about what I’ve ended up doing for all my polishing with diamond. This is facet number one on the same stone as above currently at the 3k stage and will polish it with 60k on a stationary BATT lap. Have to have the scope far enough out to see the whole facet and the light angled to show up the 3k scratches.
Once I have the light set right it has to stay where it is. (Picture one) This is because the facet will begin to disappear as I polish it (picture two) and leaving the light where it is shows up the remaining 3k scratches. I un-index and rotate the stone from time to time as I polish, this shows up any faint scratches.
 When the facet has been polished (picture three) I can’t see the meet points. If this is a display cabinet stone, then that doesn’t matter. As long as you got the meet points right at the 3k stage, you will need a 10x loupe to pick any faults after polishing. If you want greater accuracy need to get in close to the meet points to be able to see them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:21:11 PM by Faceting Frank »

Prooz

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 06:14:12 PM »
following with interest Frank. Thanks for posting..

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »
Hi Frank,

My picture is not as sharp as yours or as close,  because I have mounted the viewer on the faceting head I have to have it far enough away to let the stone swing under the scope without hitting the clear plastic shroud above the viewing area.  The next modification may be to remove this shroud.

But I am able to swivel the head around to reflect light off different facets as you do using a loupe.

I am currently using a piece of grey stretch knit materialiser the top of my mast to rest the stone against when inspecting .  This is in addition to the collar that slides up and down the mast to lean the stone against in the rest position.

Regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »
The two meet point closeup pictures has the end of the scope about 20mm from the stone. I have to swing the quill sideways to clear the stone, before lifting. So, I understand the problem you have in the plastic shroud getting in the way. Normally the scope is about 70mm out from the stone to see the whole facet.
I can’t swing the head around to catch the light like you can, but have to un-index and rotate the quill to get the same effect.
This creates two problems, one forgetting to re-index and indexing in the wrong slot. Done both, so I put a ruler on the splash pan while un-indexed and have the index numbers of that row of facets on a piece of paper on the machine table. Bit laborious but better safe than sorry.
Have unscrewed the end of my scale loupe and can now check the girdle thickness through the scope with it.

Tags:

Recent Activities

Pewter Lap build by Bucket
[Today at 05:35:03 PM]

honey opal by dan1000
[August 02, 2021, 11:22:11 PM]

Opal doublet backing. by MakkyBrown
[August 02, 2021, 08:13:51 AM]

faceting machine digital microscope setup by Faceting Frank
[August 01, 2021, 12:28:09 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[July 31, 2021, 07:47:35 AM]