collapse

Author Topic: Cabbing wheel water feed  (Read 4054 times)

geowork

• ALF'er Silver Member
Cabbing wheel water feed
« on: May 08, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »
With wide cabbing wheels, simple water drip and zero water pressure only the centre section of the wheel can be wet. Can I please have suggestions and components how to spread water across the entire width of the wheel? Spreader bar, fan nozzle, ...? I have very low pressure gravity fed water, there is no mains water. Or do I need to increase water pressure, which is not preferred as I have multiple machines not that close together. TIA.

Bill

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Cabbing wheel water feed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
At our club we have rubber or nylon flaps screwed to the solid spray guard, these actually come in contact with the wheels and need replacing from time to time. What they do is spread the water across the wheel better as the outlet is just above them and help stop any extra spray/splash to some extent.
Common sense isn't exactly common

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:16:06 PM »
I've got mine plumbed into a tap. Cheapest option = Bunnings garden department, pressure reduction value (screw on to tap type) lowest pressure they sell. Some thin wall black poly pipe and some small garden sprayers. If you want to go overboard you can use solenoid valves like I did on my machine but probably not worth it. You can also get cheap plastic in line taps to vary flow or turn off/on.

CheersMB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »
Opps just read you post again. No mains water, I'd use a big tub and put a power head garden fountain water pump in it, then cheap Bunnings sprayers etc.
MB

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Here for a good time, not a long time!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 09:18:52 AM »
I've got a 3 litre milk bottle with the bottom cut out, suspended upside down with micro watering tube coming out of the cap. I have a 'T' junction piece upside down above the wheel. At least gives 2 drip points. Just move the stone from side to side which you would be doing anyway to spread the water. Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:20:26 PM by Aussie Sapphire »
Life is not all about the final destination, but the journey taken.

geowork

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:43:49 AM »
Thanks for all the tips. I ultimately went with small aquarium airline splitters. Just needed to drill holes into the cowl above the wheel. Don't use the small taps on the splitters, control water flow with a more appropriate larger tap. Triple splitters can be used for wider wheels. Works adequately. This system is for zero pressure water feed, not pressurised mains. Photos uploaded to gallery.

(edited[/size]

Edited by an admin to add photos from the gallery

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:21:47 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 06:12:05 PM »
I bought a 20 litre water drum from Bunnings and replaced the stop cock with a brass garden tap with snap in fitting. It sits on a little tank stand on the bench beside our Cabber from Gemcuts and is connected with a short piece of garden hose. 

I then found some black garden spray hose that plugs into the outlet of each stop cock, put a Corresponding piece over the end of that, to form a T, stoppered the ends of the T and drilled 4 outlet holes.

I had to put a couple at an angle to the wheel to stop it dribbling off the edge of the wheel, but they work, even if a little rough.

I put another garden tap on a 1” hose adapter and click it on the end of the garden hose.  This lets the board of control fill the  “tank” without having to lift it down.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

Garnet by pc bowe
[Today at 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[Today at 01:46:57 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by TheRockThief
[April 19, 2024, 06:05:36 PM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted