collapse

Author Topic: Bert Smit faceting machinery  (Read 312 times)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Gold Member
    • Rough Creations homepage
Bert Smit faceting machinery
« on: July 23, 2021, 10:30:07 AM »
The following are shots of Bert Smit's faceting machine and related equipment that he manufactures in the Netherlands. I have bought several of Bert's ebonite disks in the past (https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6707.0) there are some of his disks visible in the pictures below. I first heard about Bert's gear from Giel, another forum member, based in the Netherlands. I found it interesting that Bert makes these faceting machines in batches of ~ 15, so it is not a one-off personal machine.

He is a very careful craftsman as evidenced by his superb disks. He makes, amongst other things, dops, transfer blocks for various diameter and style dops, disks and pre-former attachments. He is going to send me some pictures of his other gadgets.

For those of you, like myself, that like to see how others design their machinery, see below. If anyone is interested in how to obtain any of it, PM me and I can supply you with more info.

I don't quite get all of the subtleties of Bert's machine, from the pictures - how would you raise and lower the depth of cut, and how would you cheat? Is that a drill chuck hiding in there?
Feel free to add your comments or thoughts. Bert doesn't speak English I believe, but is active on a European forum I think.
RC

Faceting machine

Faceting machine and transfer blocks top view

Faceting machine close up

Preformer on mast

Preformer

Preformer templates

Transfer block

Transfer block model 2

Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Re: Bert Smit faceting machinery
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 10:47:52 AM »
Very interesting looking machine and looks quit complex. I can see an index wheel at the back of the quill and it looks as though it is cheated somehow with the drill chuck. I can see the performer (two pictures just above the preforms) has its own base and mast, so it’s totally independent of the faceting head. There’s a pin sticking out just above the bottom wing nut on the post that must be used for fine adjustment. But I don’t see how its going to have much of a distance in movement.
 Looking at the slot the faceting head shaft fits into, it must lift out. Is that to lift out and inspect the facet being cut or some other purpose?

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Gold Member
    • Rough Creations homepage
Re: Bert Smit faceting machinery
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
Looking at the slot the faceting head shaft fits into, it must lift out. Is that to lift out and inspect the facet being cut or some other purpose?

There appears to be a little silver grub screw holding the bearing in, but it looks like it would be quick to remove the quill if required. Not sure why he's done it this way, but I will ask him. The brass index wheel looks a bit like the ones from the Chinese machines you see around.
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

Tags:

Recent Activities

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[Today at 08:50:12 AM]

Advice on Lamberts and other overseas cutters by Aussie Sapphire
[October 22, 2021, 07:21:02 AM]

Making your own concave cutter mandrels by Faceting Frank
[October 21, 2021, 02:56:08 PM]

Flinders Island, TAS - Hunting for Killiecrankie Diamonds by MrSydney
[October 18, 2021, 12:18:19 PM]

what is the leveling system on the forum by pc bowe