collapse

Author Topic: Advice on Lamberts and other overseas cutters  (Read 3438 times)

CanberraFossick

Advice on Lamberts and other overseas cutters
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:51:21 AM »
Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller. I have two questions below:

I have about 40 or so small and low grade Sapphires I am looking to have cut. From reading this ever helpful forum its clear overseas is the way to go until I can find a big one to have cut here (should be the next sieve I am sure).

Last post I can see on here about Lamberts was from 2019 raising some issues around delays. First question has anyone used them lately and what was your experience?

Secondly are there any other overseas cutters that people recommend? Very easy to find plenty on Facebook or by googling but very difficult to assess if they are any good or not. it would be nice to have a bit more information on any competitors of lamberts to compare price and quality.

Thanks!

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Advice on Lamberts and other overseas cutters
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »
Not a recommendation, I have never used a cutting service. Someone said these people were good.

astergem.com.
As I said, not a recommendation, you will need to do your own research.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:26:20 PM »
I used lamberts, but it was well and truly before Covid hit. They were cut and returned within three months but I am aware that others more recently have had delays. I would think with current world wide  problems, that time may have ballooned out further. I can say that the results were reasonably priced and reasonable results. Mine were mostly well below one carat, I think our largest was around 0.8, all too small for my eyes to cut.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 07:21:02 AM »
If you do decide to get your gems cut overseas, then strongly recommend the following:

a) pay the extra fee to get them cut in standard calibrated sizes.  If you dont do this, you will get a mishmash of sizes back that wont fit straight into off-the-shelf settings so you have a cheap gemstone that needs an expensive custom made setting.  When we used to sell settings, we had many customers in this situation who regretted it.  If you get them cut in standard sizes, it maximises your flexibility in what you do with them later.

b) give them very clear instructions.  Without that, they will cut to maximum weight which may mean you get shapes you dont like or poor quality gems.  For example, if you want eye-clean gems only, tell them that and perhaps cab the flawed stones.  If you really dont like marquise shape for example, tell them that so you dont get a heap back that are not attractive or useful to you.   If you want them cut to standard depth for ease of setting, tell them that so you dont get shallow or very deep cut gems.  Dont assume anything - tell them specifically what you want.

c)  Document carefully.  I have not heard of any funny business going on - particularly in the smaller stuff.  I know fossickers have sweated blood and tears to get these gems but to a cutting factory, it is all routine and none of it is really that special.  They will just do the job but with clear documentation of what you have sent, there is less room for confusion.

It will take a long time to get them back.  And as Bucket notes, these are not usual times and I would expect things to take much longer.

Cheers
Leah
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat