collapse

Author Topic: Powelltown, Cardinia Creek, and Dolly's Creek Victoria gemstone locations.  (Read 311 times)

HarknessHunter

• ALF'er Bronze Member
I'm after some exact locations for gemstones located in the areas mentioned in the title. Looking at going out in the next few weeks. Btw this is in Victoria.

swirly

• ALF'er Gold Member
Re: Powelltown, Cardinia Creek, and Dolly's Creek Victoria gemstone locations.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »
cardinia has long had a dam built on it not sure on dollys crk powelltown is most likely youre best bet good luck.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 06:37:08 PM »
Cardinia creek is under a dam.
Powelltown is a good bet. Nice Smokey, Citrine and occasional Topaz, and leeches.
Dollys Creek (Morrisons) is a possible, All subdivided into hobby farms so no access to the Chert that used to come from the deep lead mine dumps any more, it was fairly rare back in the late 1960s, but was nice. I asked for permission a couple of years back to have a look but found nothing. Apparently you can still find sapphires in the creek (we didn't).

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »
It sounds like you are working from old books. The best place for reasonably modern information is the book "Gemstones in Victoria" by William Burch and Dermot Henry, published by Museum Victoria, it is a great book and well worth getting. A lot of the information is historical, it is damned hard to get access to a lot of the good fossicking places.

HarknessHunter

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »
Cardinia creek is under a dam.
Powelltown is a good bet. Nice Smokey, Citrine and occasional Topaz, and leeches.
Dollys Creek (Morrisons) is a possible, All subdivided into hobby farms so no access to the Chert that used to come from the deep lead mine dumps any more, it was fairly rare back in the late 1960s, but was nice. I asked for permission a couple of years back to have a look but found nothing. Apparently you can still find sapphires in the creek (we didn't).

What do you mean by the "Chert that used to come deep lead mine dumps". Also anywhere in particular along Dolly's Creek or just check the whole thing.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 07:13:03 PM »
HarknessHunterwelcome to the forum. The chert that Rusted refers to, I assume was the stuff that had been dug out by gold miners and left in piles on the sides of the hills in that area, Morrisons, which is south of Ballan. If it's the same stuff, it is like high quality jasper with grey, reds and a touch of yellow if memory serves me correct, polishes really well. My old club, Dandenong, had a couple of trips there when I was a member in the early '70's. I wasn't aware of the sapphires in Dolly's Creek, which again, I assume is the creek below where the chert was found. I'm a little disappointed that you can't access the chert as there was some cracker pieces found there, but I suppose time moves on. The book you're working from wouldn't be Gemstone of Victoria: How and Where to Find Them would it? If so it is badly out of date now, Cardinia Creek as said is now about 40-50 metres under water now, I was lucky enough to get in there before the dam was built, it was handy to the suburbs. There are some other small areas in the Dandenongs but most are now private land or state forests. As mentioned if you drop a sieve in most of the creeks around Powelltown you'll find some smokey and clear quartz and maybe topaz, you'll likely find leeches as well. Good luck.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 02:28:20 PM »
Yeah that's the stuff I'm talking about Bucket , really nice colours in it, as I said I got permission to have a look but everything is all gone now, anything left would be in the old buried water coarses 50m underground that the miners were following. It's probably where the Sapphires came from as well when the present creek cut down through the deep leads. When we were there we could see some obvious digging holes in the creek so I guess that was people looking for Sapphires. I didn't know the Creek was called Dollys Creek either, I looked it up and located it on the 1:250k army survey map.

HarknessHunter

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 07:06:30 PM »
HarknessHunterwelcome to the forum. The chert that Rusted refers to, I assume was the stuff that had been dug out by gold miners and left in piles on the sides of the hills in that area, Morrisons, which is south of Ballan. If it's the same stuff, it is like high quality jasper with grey, reds and a touch of yellow if memory serves me correct, polishes really well. My old club, Dandenong, had a couple of trips there when I was a member in the early '70's. I wasn't aware of the sapphires in Dolly's Creek, which again, I assume is the creek below where the chert was found. I'm a little disappointed that you can't access the chert as there was some cracker pieces found there, but I suppose time moves on. The book you're working from wouldn't be Gemstone of Victoria: How and Where to Find Them would it? If so it is badly out of date now, Cardinia Creek as said is now about 40-50 metres under water now, I was lucky enough to get in there before the dam was built, it was handy to the suburbs. There are some other small areas in the Dandenongs but most are now private land or state forests. As mentioned if you drop a sieve in most of the creeks around Powelltown you'll find some smokey and clear quartz and maybe topaz, you'll likely find leeches as well. Good luck.

Any idea where the cherts may be. Cos I've got access there this weekend so I'm going to have a good look. Dolly's Creek is very long so if you or Rusted have an idea where I could start it'll help.

HarknessHunter

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »
Well I went down to Dolly's Creek on Saturday arvo. Spent about 2hrs panning in the creek and walked out with about half a gram of gold flakes. Pretty stocked for my first time. I also scored a nice quartz formation with quite a number of small formations. You can see the pic over in the gallery as I don't know how to attached it to this.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 05:49:30 PM »
Any idea where the cherts may be. Cos I've got access there this weekend so I'm going to have a good look. Dolly's Creek is very long so if you or Rusted have an idea where I could start it'll help.
Sorry, but as I was only about 13 at the time, I can actually say that was over 50 years ago and my memory of the exact location is dim, except that it was on a grassy steep slope amongst a lot of loose rock that was obviously from a mine somewhere. It required some digging as they rubble was mixed with soil. Having said that, I would suggest that it might be in the area off Ballan-Meredith Rd, near Dolly's Creek Rd. I can't give you any closer than that, and that it was on private property so don't forget to ask the owner of the land before entry. Hope that is some help.
Common sense isn't exactly common

HarknessHunter

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
Sorry, but as I was only about 13 at the time, I can actually say that was over 50 years ago and my memory of the exact location is dim, except that it was on a grassy steep slope amongst a lot of loose rock that was obviously from a mine somewhere. It required some digging as they rubble was mixed with soil. Having said that, I would suggest that it might be in the area off Ballan-Meredith Rd, near Dolly's Creek Rd. I can't give you any closer than that, and that it was on private property so don't forget to ask the owner of the land before entry. Hope that is some help.

Thanks Bucket that's a lot of help. I'll go down again sometime and ask to get access and have a look around.

Recent Activities

Forum Financial Update/Hosting/Domain by MrSydney
[Today at 02:47:49 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[Today at 01:23:17 PM]

Crystal Mine, Kooyoora State Park by HarknessHunter
[December 05, 2021, 11:36:26 PM]

Mounting stone on Dopp stick by Bucket
[December 05, 2021, 06:32:41 PM]

Powelltown, Cardinia Creek, and Dolly's Creek Victoria gemstone locations. by HarknessHunter
[December 01, 2021, 05:36:36 PM]

Cutting Slabs - looking forward a service by Bucket
[November 28, 2021, 05:55:22 PM]

Frankston and Peninsula Lapidary Club by MALACHI
[November 27, 2021, 07:36:43 AM]

Tool suggestions for gemstone newbie by HarknessHunter
[November 23, 2021, 08:48:07 AM]

Dopping with epoxy by Bucket
[November 22, 2021, 09:50:14 AM]

Newbie looking to fossick around brisbane area by Jimnyjerry
[November 22, 2021, 08:01:08 AM]

Making your own concave cutter mandrels by Faceting Frank