collapse

Author Topic: Wishing to purchase a new faceting machine  (Read 10056 times)

yakapari

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Wishing to purchase a new faceting machine
« on: December 30, 2021, 10:15:02 PM »
Hi, I am hoping to buy a new faceting machine, locally in Aus, so far without any luck.

I have sent an email to Peter of Unamit, but so far no reply. A halls machine is my first choice for now.

Even browsing the internet I cant seem to find any other well known models for sale..?

Hoping somebody may be able to help me out with this.

Thank you.

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Wishing to purchase a new faceting machine
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Hi Yakapari,
Gemcuts may have a new Patriot in stock.   Made in America to a design by Laurie Hall, similar to the Hall X-Tra, but with a digital protractor.
Gumtree has a used VJ located in Canberra.
None of the above is a recommendation, just information from a search.
My own machine is a Hall X-Tra which I bought 12 years ago.
Welcome to ALF.   Hope you find what you are looking for and that you enjoy your venture into the wonderful hobby of faceting.
Cheers,   Ghost.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:14:09 AM by Ghost »

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:05:12 PM »
Welcome to to forum Yarapari, glad to hear another facetor joining. Peter may take a little while to get back to you over the holiday period. I have heard good things about the Halls and it would have been my second choice when I was purchasing. I'd give it until next week or so and give him a ring.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
Welcome Yakapari.
Put a bit of info in your profile, it helps members to help you. General location really helps.

yakapari

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 07:27:57 PM »
Gemcuts may have a new Patriot in stock.

Thanks for the tip, gave them a call, they are currently on a xmas break, and will be back in the New Year.

Welcome to to forum Yarapari, glad to hear another facetor joining. Peter may take a little while to get back to you over the holiday period. I have heard good things about the Halls and it would have been my second choice when I was purchasing. I'd give it until next week or so and give him a ring.

Spoke to Peter at Unamit today, such a nice fellow! I am currently down on the very long list to have the opportunity to purchase an Halls Xtra in 2022 !

Peter lamented the fact he was having some supply issues, but is still producing machines into 2022.

Welcome Yakapari.
Put a bit of info in your profile, it helps members to help you. General location really helps.

Done  ;)

I`ve been very keen to start faceting after cutting my first few stones over 10 years ago at a Gem Club.
Now I can afford my own new machine and have the time and place to pick up where I left off so long ago !

Next step is to organise a courier to deliver about 20kg of good smokey/clear quartz I have stashed at a mates place down south :)

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 02:28:42 PM »
What part of the country are you in? As a nomadic lot, members here are travelling all the time, you may be able to organise transport for your smokey quartz!
Common sense isn't exactly common

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 11:27:24 AM »
Spoke to Peter at Unamit today, such a nice fellow! I am currently down on the very long list to have the opportunity to purchase an Halls Xtra in 2022 !
Peter lamented the fact he was having some supply issues, but is still producing machines into 2022.

You might be in for rather a long wait https://outbackdictionary.com/long-wait-long-weight/, hope 2023/24 or beyond is still OK... I would be inclined to hedge your bets and see what other options for a machine you can snag in the meantime.
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 07:28:15 AM »
Hi VJs are still being made, although they may seem pricy at about $6500.  Still cheaper than the comparable imports.

Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 10:41:36 AM »
Hi VJs are still being made, although they may seem pricy at about $6500.  Still cheaper than the comparable imports.

Yes, a VJ would also be my pick if I was in the market for a new machine. Haven't ever used one, however I like the build quality of the machines, and the design concept seems sound. Some owners comment that the cutting height on a VJ takes a little getting used to, but I cut standing up myself, so no biggie.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 02:34:46 PM »
I think your Facetron with encoder is pretty good as I can't see anyway of putting an encoder on the VJ.Having some good progress building my new machine :) Just finished the major step of machining all the mountings/holes in the base plate.
MB

yakapari

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »
You might be in for rather a long wait https://outbackdictionary.com/long-wait-long-weight/, hope 2023/24 or beyond is still OK... I would be inclined to hedge your bets and see what other options for a machine you can snag in the meantime.

Yes, a VJ would also be my pick if I was in the market for a new machine. Haven't ever used one, however I like the build quality of the machines, and the design concept seems sound. Some owners comment that the cutting height on a VJ takes a little getting used to, but I cut standing up myself, so no biggie.

I think your Facetron with encoder is pretty good as I can't see anyway of putting an encoder on the VJ.Having some good progress building my new machine :) Just finished the major step of machining all the mountings/holes in the base plate.
MB

Thanks for your input everyone, I have now changed tack and have made a down payment on a VJ Premier, Matt at VJ has informed me of roughly a ten week lead time.
Pricey indeed, but I figure the money is well spent, a machine that will be still working when I`m gone, and future-proof, no need to upgrade machines as my skills become better.
I`m also impressed with Matts well explained YouTube tutorials regarding the VJ, such as machine alignment  - invaluable information to an owner and beginner.

Next up some lap and glue research and purchase ! (really do not want to go back to wax like I originally learnt to use  ;D)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 10:37:40 AM »
MB

Yeah, I am very happy with my Facetron/encoder combination. Certainly not looking at a new machine, even though it might have sounded like it, lol.
The VJ Premier seems to come with a 'digital readout' - does this imply that an optical encoder is already present out of the box?

Good to hear the new machine is coming along well, it will be a real beast when you finish.

RC
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:41:58 AM by RoughCreations »

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 03:11:12 PM »
I don't think the VJ uses an optical encoder.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 11:39:10 PM »
Hi

I adjusted my dial indicator the other day so it reads 3 on the little dial (3 revolutions of the dial or 150/10000") and it seems to be working more reliably.

when new from Facetron it was on either 2 or 3 but this was adjusted when Andrew aligned the plattern. and replace the motor because a bearing had gone.

Anyway, I have mounted a cheap USB microscope on my Facetron. It clamps to the faceting head using a bracket I made. What I Have noticed is that the dial indicator gauge hardly moves from zero as the meetpoints move those final microns into place. You can't see the distance it is too small, it is the allignment of the facet boundaries that tell when a meet is in or out.

My conclusion is that I am not sure if an encoder will be of any use now I have a microscope.
Happy Faceting
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:44:48 PM by RoughCreations »
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 11:00:47 AM »
I have had a VJ for some years. I find setting the angle on the digital readout allows me to return to the angle accurately when necessary . By adjusting the angle a small amount I can make "heel and toe " adjustments to individual facets at the prepolish stage and  come back to that facet  when polishing,
Flash's microscope is an excellent method of making meet points accurate. Any other sort of measuring device such as an encoder will NOT  give the results that can be obtained with either a microscope or good lighting and a good 10x loupe.
Good luck - I think you've made a good decision
John

Recent Activities

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by TheRockThief
[Today at 08:14:50 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[Today at 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[Today at 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted