collapse

Author Topic: Transferring from one dop to another  (Read 158 times)

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
Transferring from one dop to another
« on: January 03, 2022, 10:27:30 PM »
Ever since the demise of Tite-On I use brown wax for the initial dopping and then 2 part epoxy for the transfer. I have tried using wax for the transfer but can't master the technique. This week two part epoxy has let me down - I mix it the same as always but it sets hard on the outside but is soft and crumbly in the cone of the receiving dop. BTW I always clean the stone and the dop with acetone first. The epoxies I have tried from my selection have been Dextone,Devcon Home and JBWeld steel and the results from each have all been bad. I don't put the transfer into the oven at a low temp. but stand the transfer jig under a heating globe which gets the jig slightly warm and I always leave it for 24 hours.
I live near the water and the temperature has been mild (below 30 ) but the humidity has been high.
Has anyone had a similar problem ? Is the high humidity the problem with atmospheric water vapour getting into the product during mixing.?
Frank - A fellow facetor uses Epifill but the local marine shop doesn't stock it any more. I don't know if he has had a problem with it in humid weather
All help will be welcome.
John

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Re: Transferring from one dop to another
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
Never ever had a problem with 5 minute araldite, no heating, nothing. Have a thread on here called "Dopping with epoxy" on how I both initially dop and transfer dop with it.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »
I use 5 minute epoxy and add a bit of filler. for example say you are mixing up about a match heads worth of Part A and a match heads worth of Part B, I mix in about a match heads worth of plaster of paris. Plaster is Gypsum so soft enough not to scratch any stones we are working with. The filler helps to make a more rigid mix.
I have heard of people using Talcum powder, but haven't tried that as the plaster works.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 09:28:16 AM »
Make sure you use clean acetone not acetone used for soaking dops to clean both stone and dop. I use Dextone 5min Plastic Steel Epoxy, make sure quantities are even. I squeeze a very small amount of Resin/Hardner onto a sticky note pad, mix and slide the dop cone across the paper to fill the cone with the epoxy. I then put the transfer jig into the oven(heat lamp should work) and have a cuppa. Bake at 40degrees or so till pretty much rock hard. When you can't press you fingernail into the epoxy. It will harden more as it cools. Never had a stone come off using above.Make sure your Dextone says "Plastic Steel Epoxy" not "Home". Even though the tube says five minutes I'd use that as work time not cure time. Might need 30 minutes in the oven or leave overnight, especially if polishing is going to get the stone hot.

CheersMB
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:30:09 AM by MakkyBrown »

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 09:37:33 AM »
Thanks to all for the hints. I have bought some 5 min. Araldite and SuperAraldite and will do some experimenting today. The current temp. is 24 and it's misty rain so the humidity is high.
Will post my results in a day or two.
John

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 12:10:35 PM »
I have done two transfers with 5 minute Araldite and both were successful. One of the transfers was a stone with a keel and I could see that the V dop and the angle of the keel were slightly different angles so there would be a small gap which would need to be filled with the glue. I haven't got any gyprock plaster powder but I know from work with fibreglass   in the past that the addition of a filler would improve the gap filling abilities of the glue. I added some corn flour to the mix and waited until the glue started to thicken before applying it. I left it for 24 hours and the result looks good. Now when I cut the crown I'll find out if the corn flour has weakened the glue !!
Thanks for all the advice - I guess I'm a convert from epoxy to Araldite from now on.
Happy faceting
John

Recent Activities

MB Faceting Machine Build by MakkyBrown
[Today at 09:17:19 AM]

Forum Financial Update/Hosting/Domain by RoughCreations
[Today at 09:11:00 AM]

Wishing to purchase a new faceting machine by MakkyBrown
[January 17, 2022, 05:05:34 PM]

Buck Duke 500 Fern Knife 1 of 2 by MakkyBrown
[January 12, 2022, 07:21:07 PM]

Valuable stone pinched from NSW museum by starsapphire78