collapse

Author Topic: Help me plan my trip please :)  (Read 3386 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Help me plan my trip please :)
« on: February 25, 2022, 09:23:48 PM »
I am going to the Gemboree at Mudgee(NSW), then planning to spend a month looking for sapphires, maybe fern, and any other gems I can facet. I really have no idea where to go yet, so any advice really appreciated.  The only spot on the go to list so far is Tomahawk Creek but going to the QLD gem fields will depend on the long range weather forecast.  I can keep spots secret and it will only be me visiting them so the impact of my digging will be minimal as I don't plan really long days digging.  Happy to catch up with other ALFer's. It would be awesome if some of you could point me in the right direction. It will just be me in my old 80series Landcruiser packed full of fossicking gear.

CheersMB

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:34:17 PM by MakkyBrown »

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: Help me plan my trip please :)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 01:25:57 PM »
Have you done Inverell & Torrington?

Heaps of good quartz easily accessible around Inverell and obviously it is a sapphire area - some of the best.  Then Torrington for lots of good topaz, chance of emerald / gem beryl, aquamarine, and interesting quartz crystals (phantoms, candle quartz etc).  It's a bit of the fastest route though up to Tomahawk Creek etc though.

A few members in that region that I'm sure would help!  Lord Thunda is at Emmaville and the mining museum collection is well worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 10:43:33 PM »
No I have never visited Inverell or Torrington. I will have to do a bit of reading. Can you still look for emeralds ? I remember reading somewhere the bulldozed it all.
Going to have to find a map and have a look.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 12:38:23 PM »
The first emerald mine was bulldozed in but you can still speck around it.  We actually had more luck digging some soil and sieving it and got lots of smaller pieces.  I have found one small cutter but a while ago.

There is a second emerald mine further down the track I haven't explored.

Torrington a bit wild if you haven't done  much research so would see if anyone here knows anyone local that can take you in for the day!

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 07:03:32 PM »
The first emerald mine was bulldozed in but you can still speck around it.  We actually had more luck digging some soil and sieving it and got lots of smaller pieces.  I have found one small cutter but a while ago.

Torrington a bit wild if you haven't done  much research so would see if anyone here knows anyone local that can take you in for the day!
Have you got much info on where the mines are and access ?
I've found the 2020 Minerama map, does anyone know if you can still access all these sites or was it just for field trips? Looks to be a lot of Creeks in the Glen Innes area, is it easy to access them or are most on private land ?
Cheers

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 09:24:57 PM »
I have just added two pdf to the Downloads section showing old Torrington Mud Maps. It would be great to get input on which of these areas are able to be accessed and worth visiting.

https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=18

https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=19

Cheers
MB
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:03:31 AM by MakkyBrown »

Cass 1

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 06:33:33 PM »
Hi -
Not sure if you are still after info on "Torrington Mud Maps" locations.
The little booklet was prepared by the late Keith Gregson of Torrington at least twenty years back - some of the spots outlined are still accessable however a few are on private property, ie Mt Everard Quarry, Patons Cut, Trembles and the old Pacific Copper shed at Bismuth.
These are on DP 753286, Lots 20 and 23, outlined on the local Topo Maps (1:25000, I think)
The owner currently has closed these properties to any visitors following unlawful events by undesirable individuals over the past five years or so.
In any case you should also seek permission from the respective mining company who has current EL or ML leases on the said locations (refer Fossicking under the Mining Act 1992)
Most of the other locations are in the Torrington SCA, managed by the NPWS where fossicking is still allowed under their guidelines.
Any day in the bush in the region is always enjoyable - even if you leave with nothing but pictures!
Don't get lost! Cheers.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 07:36:39 AM »

I've found the 2020 Minerama map, does anyone know if you can still access all these sites or was it just for field trips? Looks to be a lot of Creeks in the Glen Innes area, is it easy to access them or are most on private land ?
Cheers
Sorry MakkyBrown you will find that the field trips and most creeks are on private land.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »
Hi -
Not sure if you are still after info on "Torrington Mud Maps" locations.
The little booklet was prepared by the late Keith Gregson of Torrington at least twenty years back - some of the spots outlined are still accessable however a few are on private property, ie Mt Everard Quarry, Patons Cut, Trembles and the old Pacific Copper shed at Bismuth.
These are on DP 753286, Lots 20 and 23, outlined on the local Topo Maps (1:25000, I think)
The owner currently has closed these properties to any visitors following unlawful events by undesirable individuals over the past five years or so.
In any case you should also seek permission from the respective mining company who has current EL or ML leases on the said locations (refer Fossicking under the Mining Act 1992)
Most of the other locations are in the Torrington SCA, managed by the NPWS where fossicking is still allowed under their guidelines.
Any day in the bush in the region is always enjoyable - even if you leave with nothing but pictures!
Don't get lost! Cheers.
Welcome to the forum Cass 1, thanks for the info. I haven't found time to research the mud maps yet so you have helped me in narrowing down the potential locations to visit. Cheers MB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 08:19:58 AM »

Cheers
Sorry MakkyBrown you will find that the field trips and most creeks are on private land.
Hmm, wondering if it is even worth visiting Glen Innes as the accessible spots will likely have been heavily worked.

Recent Activities

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[Today at 11:55:06 AM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[Today at 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[Today at 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat