collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking on Crown Land  (Read 997 times)

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
Fossicking on Crown Land
« on: April 11, 2022, 05:07:33 PM »
A question to our learned members. Can you fossick on Crown Land in NSW

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Fossicking on Crown Land
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 05:41:48 PM »
"ossickers do not have the right to enter Crown Land. Prior to fossicking on Crown land,
consent from the appropriate authority is required.
Where Crown Land is occupied by a tenure holder and/or Crown land manager, further
consent may be required.
Further information about Crown Land can be found at
www.industry.nsw.gov.au/landsor by calling 1300 886 235" 
from https://www.blandshire.nsw.gov.au/files/sharedassets/public/fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw.pdf

or from https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw.pdf
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 05:43:46 PM by Jimnyjerry »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »
for state forest you need a permit and even then you need to look up each state forest to see if any areas are open to fossicking

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:56:59 AM »
Thanks Jimny, I'm all clear with State Forrest have the permit to go onto state forrest and am aware of the requirements.  It's just that Crown Land has me beat, I spoke to my local Crown Lands Office and they advised me that it was okay to go onto about 8 lots in my area, but I was fossicking on one of these lots and was approached by a very angry man that told me I was trespassing on his property and do get off.  I tried to explain to him about the Crown Lands Office Permission, but he would not listen to me just told me to get off.   I've been fossicking in this area for about 15 years and thinking this was crown land, it is the first time anybody has approached me.  Crown Land office at Goulburn told me that a couple of lots are under Native Title and I had to get permission from Aboriginal Lands Council, which I have, they only said to respect their culture and not to disturb or remove any artifacts.   I've sent a letter to crown lands to verify the information they had previously supplied me,  my suspicious mind suggests that this angry man may have been growing a crop in the area, the illegal type, but hey I'm an old copper so was trained to be cautious.

Once again thanks mate. beers

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 08:27:56 AM »
Tinker glad I could help.  Sadly there are dopes and crazies in all sort of forest up and down the coast.
 beers Jerry

Cass 1

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:34:08 PM »
G'day Tinker - Have had a few arguments also in the past over "Crown Land". Be aware that some Crown Land can be leased out and the tenants pay this Lease to the Government periodically, a bit like rent. In some cases the tenant may be allowed to erect a dwelling on the block dependant on its location but often you will find it adjacent to another freehold (or leasehold) farm and is utilised primarily for farming or grazing as an extension of their own place. As you mentioned the occupant may have had some good reason why they didn't want you to be there! Often pays to take a detailed map with you from the Crown Lands Office. Cheers.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
Thanks mate, yes I had the maps and the letter from the Crown Lands Department, but this fella just didn't want to listen to me, he just told me that I was a liar and to get off the land.  The land is not fenced off, there are Fire Trails throw the block which he has placed timber across to block the road accesses into the crown land.  His reaction was very strange, especially out in the middle of no were, being an elderly man, and being aggressive did not sit right with me.  If head approached anybody that had an aggressive nature to them, he would probably be still laying out there laying in the bush, I had years of training as an ex copper, the other thing the really peaved me was that I was laying on the ground digging out Crystals, when I got up to talk to him, I snapped one of my ribs, so I just let him go on with his rant, also, when I got up I realise that I was laying on a large crystal plate.  I cover it up as I couldn't lift it because of the cracked rib,  I came back about two days later with a fellow rockhound and the crystal plate was gone. So very suspicious, of this gentleman.   Anyhow I've sent a letter off to Crown Lands Goulburn with photo's of the blocked Fire trails and site, with my previous correspondence from them, so will see how I go.  Thanks for the advice beers

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 03:49:42 PM »
Tinker some people seem to take ownership of land that doesn't seem to be used. We have a designated fossicking area over here that the neighbouring land owner seem to thin he has the right to tell people to keep off. It's got to the point where the local police have become involved. Not sure where this comes from but he has been officially told. Sound like your bloke may  be the same.
Common sense isn't exactly common

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 05:10:19 PM »
Yes Bucket, me thinks he may have had a crop growing in the area, spoke to the local Sergeant who was a colleague of mine and I think this guy may be in for a surprise.  Also the Council Fire Country Officer is a good friend of mine and he was very interested in what I told him about the Fire Trails being blocked by fallen trees, what this space, I think this fella is going to come a gutser. hotthirsty

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
Us ex coppers have to stick together  tinker! Always pays to have friends in the right places.
Common sense isn't exactly common

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:56 AM »
Yes mate  quietly, quietly sneaks the money hotthirsty

opal light

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »
Tinker,

I suggest you contact NAPFA with the details: comms@napfa.net

They have investigated a number of claims by so called "owners" who lay claim to Crown Land and try and keep people out, and have had it sorted out. There are a few squatters that have had to remove signs off fences and gates, and even had to remove gates they erected to stop public access.

As others have said a landowner can get a grazing licence, and can refuse prospecting, but they cannot stop access across the land, no locked gates. If Crown Lands gave you the details in the first place then they would have checked the conditions, including grazing or other licences, so it should be public land.

NAPFA have a good statement on a sheet you can get, and keep it handy if you get bailed up. It basically tells the land owner that NAPFA will check up with Crown and other authorities and if the land owner is correct, then they will work to change the information/maps that send prospectors there and sort it out so it won't happen again.

You get a quick settling down of those trying it on as they have no-where to go.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 08:06:45 PM »
NAPFA..... Most useless organisation out there... Done zip for Fossickers... Allowed the 'Fossicking District' to be shrunk to appease a Mining Company at Torrington... When asked about it and other close by areas, SILENCE...  :-X

Unless its Gold related, forget them.. IMHO..

Gemster.... beers

I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

opal light

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 11:23:22 AM »
That's not the experience I have had with NAPFA.

NAPFA acted over the mines dept opal field maps where the NSW map was high resolution satallite image, yet the opal fields map showing the claims was shite. NAPFA came and got a geologist to demonstrate it to the SHooters & Fishers party roadshow up here at Grawin, and how it was a simple job for the dept to fix but they were being difficult. NAPFA told them they will go to the Nats if nothing happens. Fixed and that's gem related, and I know detailed work they did for a mates sapphire operation, and the Stannifer closure they got sorted, so I don't agree they are gold only.

When was the fossicking district shrunk Gemster, and who was the mining company? I'll look into it as the mines dept have been corrupt for years and the big shake up last year saw a lot of rats desert the ship. Some got busted for deliberate work for companies against the publics interest, as in withholding objections to mine expansions and pretending they never received it.  They are a lot better and I am working on a past issue with them right now, and they are taking claims of past "poor management of Regulations" seriously. Happy to raise the question mate.

I checked NAPFA submissions they made and correspondence to members, and nothing there to us members, but maybe before my time? Who did you ask at NAPFA and when might that of been? I'll chase it up as I will be meeting them to at some stage over this mining company related issue.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 02:37:40 PM »
I say BS on some points.... I know several 'Committee' Members personally.... They had zip to do with Stanifer and no action on Tingha either.... It was the Glen Innes Gem club that have had several meetings with NPWS to sort that out... No NAPFA involvement what so ever...  I inform NAPFA of discrepancies on maps and Fossicking Districts being shrunk to appease the big boys on often... But so far i haven't seen or heard of any action taken by NAPFA on locations in the NE NSW...

Gemster...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 02:48:51 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Recent Activities

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[June 29, 2022, 07:19:50 AM]

National Geographic Tumbler Kit - a good choice for a young rock enthusiast? by Aussie Sapphire
[June 26, 2022, 08:45:54 AM]

Fossicking on Crown Land by opal light
[June 25, 2022, 07:13:48 PM]

Wishing to purchase a new faceting machine by RoughCreations
[June 23, 2022, 06:17:37 PM]

Trip to the Gemfields by darryn63
[June 21, 2022, 01:15:55 PM]

Cardinia creek or other sapphire areas to fossick by darryn63
[June 21, 2022, 12:38:21 PM]

Hi All by Longfellow
[June 20, 2022, 10:25:19 AM]

O'briens Ck by dom105