collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking on Crown Land  (Read 441 times)

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
Fossicking on Crown Land
« on: April 11, 2022, 05:07:33 PM »
A question to our learned members. Can you fossick on Crown Land in NSW

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Fossicking on Crown Land
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 05:41:48 PM »
"ossickers do not have the right to enter Crown Land. Prior to fossicking on Crown land,
consent from the appropriate authority is required.
Where Crown Land is occupied by a tenure holder and/or Crown land manager, further
consent may be required.
Further information about Crown Land can be found at
www.industry.nsw.gov.au/landsor by calling 1300 886 235" 
from https://www.blandshire.nsw.gov.au/files/sharedassets/public/fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw.pdf

or from https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw.pdf
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 05:43:46 PM by Jimnyjerry »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »
for state forest you need a permit and even then you need to look up each state forest to see if any areas are open to fossicking

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:56:59 AM »
Thanks Jimny, I'm all clear with State Forrest have the permit to go onto state forrest and am aware of the requirements.  It's just that Crown Land has me beat, I spoke to my local Crown Lands Office and they advised me that it was okay to go onto about 8 lots in my area, but I was fossicking on one of these lots and was approached by a very angry man that told me I was trespassing on his property and do get off.  I tried to explain to him about the Crown Lands Office Permission, but he would not listen to me just told me to get off.   I've been fossicking in this area for about 15 years and thinking this was crown land, it is the first time anybody has approached me.  Crown Land office at Goulburn told me that a couple of lots are under Native Title and I had to get permission from Aboriginal Lands Council, which I have, they only said to respect their culture and not to disturb or remove any artifacts.   I've sent a letter to crown lands to verify the information they had previously supplied me,  my suspicious mind suggests that this angry man may have been growing a crop in the area, the illegal type, but hey I'm an old copper so was trained to be cautious.

Once again thanks mate. beers

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 08:27:56 AM »
Tinker glad I could help.  Sadly there are dopes and crazies in all sort of forest up and down the coast.
 beers Jerry

Cass 1

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:34:08 PM »
G'day Tinker - Have had a few arguments also in the past over "Crown Land". Be aware that some Crown Land can be leased out and the tenants pay this Lease to the Government periodically, a bit like rent. In some cases the tenant may be allowed to erect a dwelling on the block dependant on its location but often you will find it adjacent to another freehold (or leasehold) farm and is utilised primarily for farming or grazing as an extension of their own place. As you mentioned the occupant may have had some good reason why they didn't want you to be there! Often pays to take a detailed map with you from the Crown Lands Office. Cheers.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
Thanks mate, yes I had the maps and the letter from the Crown Lands Department, but this fella just didn't want to listen to me, he just told me that I was a liar and to get off the land.  The land is not fenced off, there are Fire Trails throw the block which he has placed timber across to block the road accesses into the crown land.  His reaction was very strange, especially out in the middle of no were, being an elderly man, and being aggressive did not sit right with me.  If head approached anybody that had an aggressive nature to them, he would probably be still laying out there laying in the bush, I had years of training as an ex copper, the other thing the really peaved me was that I was laying on the ground digging out Crystals, when I got up to talk to him, I snapped one of my ribs, so I just let him go on with his rant, also, when I got up I realise that I was laying on a large crystal plate.  I cover it up as I couldn't lift it because of the cracked rib,  I came back about two days later with a fellow rockhound and the crystal plate was gone. So very suspicious, of this gentleman.   Anyhow I've sent a letter off to Crown Lands Goulburn with photo's of the blocked Fire trails and site, with my previous correspondence from them, so will see how I go.  Thanks for the advice beers

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 03:49:42 PM »
Tinker some people seem to take ownership of land that doesn't seem to be used. We have a designated fossicking area over here that the neighbouring land owner seem to thin he has the right to tell people to keep off. It's got to the point where the local police have become involved. Not sure where this comes from but he has been officially told. Sound like your bloke may  be the same.
Common sense isn't exactly common

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 05:10:19 PM »
Yes Bucket, me thinks he may have had a crop growing in the area, spoke to the local Sergeant who was a colleague of mine and I think this guy may be in for a surprise.  Also the Council Fire Country Officer is a good friend of mine and he was very interested in what I told him about the Fire Trails being blocked by fallen trees, what this space, I think this fella is going to come a gutser. hotthirsty

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 07:20:06 PM »
Us ex coppers have to stick together  tinker! Always pays to have friends in the right places.
Common sense isn't exactly common

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:56 AM »
Yes mate  quietly, quietly sneaks the money hotthirsty

Recent Activities

O'briens Ck by Jamo
[May 21, 2022, 10:06:16 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[May 18, 2022, 08:18:58 AM]

Shaker box build, ideas please. by MakkyBrown