collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking on Crown Land  (Read 2206 times)

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: Fossicking on Crown Land
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 10:07:47 AM »
I know this has been a big issue in a few spots around Nundle.  You get certain adjoining landowners who have learnt that naked aggression will get people to go away and it seems this is the strategy you've come up against.

Common sense says you shouldn't pick a fight with this people (especially in an isolated area) but I'm really glad you've reported it / followed up further!

opal light

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2022, 06:35:17 PM »
Well this gets interesting then Gemster!

The issue I was referring to at Stannifer was when people left the creekline and dug up private land, the landowner complained, Crown Lands shuts it, put up signs to say so. NAPFA contacted Crown and lobbied the fact there was no map of the private land boundaries and Crown agreed they would reopen it when signs were printed. That came up late 2018.

In both 2017 and 2018 NAPFA lobbied the government over the fact Parks had the Tingha/Stannifer SCA over areas dug by the old dredges, and how it was a conflict to the SCA policy which is to preserve natural areas of high conservation value. I know NAPFA pointed out the objective of parks was to close the road in the future to stop fossicking access, and to annex fossicking areas to stop fossicking. Parks have done this elsewhere such as Monga and Copeland Tops SCA's which NAPFA were working on at the time. NAPFA contacted most NSW gem organisations from the Gem & treasure list to request they come on board the lobby effort, as NAPFA needed numbers to battle parks. I know that NAPFA only got one reply.

Since you refer to meetings with Parks these may be separate issues? Please confirm.

However it is unfair to state NAPFA has done zero in the Tingha area, and zero for gem hunters statewide when over 20 fossicking districts have been created and these benefits gem hunters. Next is Oberon, and that is in the gem hunters favour, so looking forward to it being announced soon in NAPFA's next newsletter.

But as for you saying NAPFA agreed to allow a fossicking district to be shrunk for a company, I can tell you it never happened with the old committee, let alone the current one.  There is no way they would concede ground, maybe overruled by politicians but not giving it away. I gather your reports are to committee members of NAPFA? Want to name them? I'll chase it up next AGM.

Can you please provide details of Torrington as you say with the area, maps be great, when it was changed, mining company involved, etc. I am in a position to look into it shortly, as be crossing paths with the Dept. on another issue. I will get an answer, just need more on where to look.

Cheers, and as for BS .........  I'll chase up that form for you other fellas that NAPFA has for when people try to BS you they own the publics land when they don't.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 10:45:04 AM »
Thanks Opal Light!

I think it is important that you've provided the extra detail you have about NAPFA as misconception can erode support.  Do NAPFA have a mailing list I can subscribe to?

Longfellow

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 10:02:16 AM »
I say BS on some points.... I know several 'Committee' Members personally.... They had zip to do with Stanifer and no action on Tingha either.... It was the Glen Innes Gem club that have had several meetings with NPWS to sort that out... No NAPFA involvement what so ever...  I inform NAPFA of discrepancies on maps and Fossicking Districts being shrunk to appease the big boys on often... But so far i haven't seen or heard of any action taken by NAPFA on locations in the NE NSW...

Gemster...

Gemster, can you please post details of Torrington with the area maps of shrunken fossicking districts , and or other close by areas that have been affected within the district. I am a bit confused about what a fossicking district is and designated fossicking areas, my understanding is they are different.

opal light

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 06:07:22 PM »
Thanks Opal Light!

I think it is important that you've provided the extra detail you have about NAPFA as misconception can erode support.  Do NAPFA have a mailing list I can subscribe to?

Thanks for sentiments MrSydney. NAPFA do send email and newsletters to members with what’s going on, and to others in prospecting such as committee of clubs etc. You can email to enquire. Tried to attach NAPFA’s field sheet as promised but …. Is there a trick here?

As for misconceptions that’s when you reckon something and get it wrong like saying NAPFA don’t act for gem hunters or work in certain areas when they do.

But the accusations Gemster has made go way beyond that by stating NAPFA allowed a Fossicking District to be shrunk to appease a mining company. This is accusing NAPFA of being on the side of companies and not fossickers as per their logo “Fights for fairer access to land in NSW and represents the interests of prospectors and fossickers”.

It’s a big accusation and furthered by stating it came from inside of NAPFA’s committee. It trumps any defence of NAPFA by its members as they “would not know” according to Gemster but he does. It accuses the NAPFA committee of deliberately going against its own objectives and misleading its members as well as the fossicking public.
Quick search on NAPFA, I see Gemster has made the claim before in 2019 where “I have spoken to NAPFA’s Secretary and committee members several times in the last few weeks” plural, so at least 3 of NAPFA’s committee. Funny he hates NAPFA but is matey with half the committee and they are telling him they are doing the wrong thing?

I’ll call BS on it mate, and happy to stand corrected. As a NAPFA member I want to know what is going on. All fossickers deserve answers here to these big claims that we are being sold out by the State organisation that is saying it is representing us.

The same with the shrunken fossicking district ……if you have reported it to NAPFA, then why not to us here ??????   Why the secrecy ???

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:20 AM »
I would like to remind all members that any abuse on this forum will not be tolerated. Keep it clean and keep it friendly, if you want to call out someone, perhaps doing it through a PM rather than through the open forum would be a better way to handle things.
Common sense isn't exactly common

opal light

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2022, 07:13:48 PM »
Hi Bucket,

I have sent a PM to you in reply.

Good news on Crown Land however is the Oberon Shire Council have this week approved the proposal to become a Fossicking District.  Good work by NAPFA.

Recent Activities

Best way to Sapphire viewing by MakkyBrown
[August 10, 2022, 10:46:31 AM]

Jarvi/Facetron Owners-please take note by MakkyBrown
[August 09, 2022, 11:23:50 PM]

CQ Gemfields by mehoose
[August 08, 2022, 09:38:56 PM]

Gemstone Faceting Designs Vol. 4 is out! by RoughCreations
[August 08, 2022, 09:26:20 AM]

O'briens Ck by dom105
[August 07, 2022, 10:29:28 AM]

Transferring from one dop to another by mehoose