collapse

Author Topic: New Member Hello / Merimbula Far South Coast NSW  (Read 735 times)

Gov

New Member Hello / Merimbula Far South Coast NSW
« on: April 06, 2022, 10:03:20 AM »
Hey! I'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum, location wise I'm currently based in Merimbula, way down on the far south coast NSW.

My fossicking hobby formally started in Tassie years back where I was fortunate to enjoy field trips with a good mate all around the state in search of a variety of minerals or gems, and prior to that a couple of noodling stints in Coober Pedy when passing through. Since being in NSW for about two years now, I have been on the lookout for opportunities to recommence fossicking and recently joined ALF after a friend pointed me here.

Last November to keep the bug alive I got a Lortone 33B Double-Barrel rock tumbler which finally enabled me to run through some of the smaller material I'd been lugging around for a while (Lune River & Drip Beach Agates, Chalcedony, Petrified Wood, Jasper etc).  At this stage, I have the feeling the hobby current will eventually move me towards cabbing for the hobby variety (being hands-on vs passive tumbling) and to be able to work with the larger material, but given that my location is rural, I'll bide my time.

In the short time since joining ALF, I have been able to exchange a few messages with forum member Tinker, who has been great and kindly given me warm pointers to nearby locations which should get back at it here! I'd definitely be happy and keen to meet up with anyone in the Merimbula/Tura Beach/local area for coffee, field trip, other hobby event etc.

Thanks for having me here and I look forward to posting more as and when time/opportunity permits :)

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Re: New Member Hello / Merimbula Far South Coast NSW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 10:29:20 AM »
Hi Gov and welcome to the forum.
I started off tumbling many decades ago and progressed to cabbing and lapping agates etc. Now just do faceting with material I buy off the net.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 11:20:58 AM »
Welcome - heaps of interesting threads here if you search by location and lots of knowledge if you post any questions / trips you are thinking of!

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 08:13:02 PM »
Welcome Gov,
I'm form tassie aswell. Good to have you on the forum. I remember collecting drip beach agate with the kids when they were younger, still got some myself that need tumbling.

CheersMB

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum Gov. There are a few of us from Tassie. I've just been checking through the club listing and it looks like Canberra would be your closest! Good club but a bit of a drive from your place. If you would like to browse through the club listing yourself you can find it here: https://gemlapidarycouncilnsw.org.au/clubs/
Good luck with the tumbling!
Common sense isn't exactly common

Gov

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 11:25:35 AM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome, it's really appreciated! :)

I'll spend some time to check out the forum threads and details of that Canberra club (who knows, the logistics may work out!), and hopefully down the line I can contribute to threads.

Have a good one!

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 05:09:55 PM »
Hello Gov, welcome to the forum, we have already spoken, but you will find this mob very welcoming and knowledgable.  Me back is recovering well and as soon as I am able to go fossicking again, I will be in contact.   Its is great to have someone local on the forum. beers

Recent Activities

Best way to Sapphire viewing by MakkyBrown
[August 10, 2022, 10:46:31 AM]

Jarvi/Facetron Owners-please take note by MakkyBrown
[August 09, 2022, 11:23:50 PM]

CQ Gemfields by mehoose
[August 08, 2022, 09:38:56 PM]

Gemstone Faceting Designs Vol. 4 is out! by RoughCreations
[August 08, 2022, 09:26:20 AM]

O'briens Ck by dom105
[August 07, 2022, 10:29:28 AM]

Transferring from one dop to another by mehoose