collapse

Author Topic: ALF visits  (Read 2584 times)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
ALF visits
« on: June 07, 2023, 02:21:50 PM »
Was having a bit of a slow day today, so I queried and tallied the monthly visits to ALF over time, for the life of the forum.
The page loads/visits is indicative information only, however it does show the general trend.
Actual posts to the forum (not shown) are down quite a lot from the heyday of ALF, nonetheless we still seem to have a reasonably constant number of people looking, but not that many posting.
You can see the possible effect of Covid/lockdowns in the data.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 02:36:08 PM by RoughCreations »
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: ALF visits
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 10:55:13 PM »
LOL, yep... stay inside weather down there too eh? She's been pretty rank  up here on the coast today.

It's funny isn't it how it represents things. Back when I first joined we were such a chatty bunch with posts flying everywhere and lapidary had exploded around the globe with a good number of rock related forums. All though have seen a huge downswing in posters, some have closed, some have changed name, some are still holding on albeit at a slower pace.

I'm so glad you guys were able to step in when A and L needed to step back.

I've been rather distant the past number of years but things are finally swinging around for me to get back into my lovelies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've had so many false starts to get back into things but I now have a wee trim saw from A and L so can finally trim out some shapes from old slabs(at least I haven't had to water or feed them these past 15 years) and more importantly..finally a machine to shape cabs with! In a perfect world I'd have an 8 wheeler but will make do with the 6 like most folks do. Still freaking out over getting my facet machine in alignment with the cheater but first things first... cut some cabs and get back into my zen zone, breathe again and then when my internal workings have reached 'calm', try a couple of things I saw on the net to get my FM sorted to the point where I know the ughs are my own fault and not the machine's and what I need to improve on...
Keep em comin!!!

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 11:25:22 AM »
Thank you to Andrew for taking on the forum when we were unable to keep it up.

I think probably the biggest change since the earlier days of ALF is all the facebook groups that are now talking about lapidary - it has diluted the user base a lot.

Facebook groups are not a great alternative in my opinion as a dedicated forum is always going to be better for search, archiving and proper discussion but I suppose people tend to use groups at a place where they are already hanging out.

Hopefully ALF can continue to be a valuable resource for those in the hobby and glad we were able to host a place that brought people together for a long time.

Thank you to the current mods who keep it going.

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
I'm so glad you guys were able to step in when A and L needed to step back.
It went pretty smoothly at the time thanks to A and L providing a really useful handover.

I've been rather distant the past number of years but things are finally swinging around for me to get back into my lovelies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sometimes also find that I get a mental block after a time away from my hobby - trying to get back into faceting/jewellery-making after a break can be very hard, as you have found it's best to start with a fairly simple task, and build from there.
RC
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 05:15:50 PM »
Leah, one can never thank you and Andrew enough for providing a brilliant platform for us to share our passion and for those without equipment, either not enough funds to dive in orrr, as in my case, having to sell off everything because things were needed by the family... a place to still be involved to keep one's sanity and the brain ticking over....mind you I'll be wearing L plates again after such a long time away from the wheels.  hotthirsty
I thought the FM would help but after some setbacks with that, and not having the know how, nor the confidence within myself at the time to dive in and fix things, I had to step right back so I didn't stamp out the flame totally.Now I'm ready to reappear... and I'm so, so glad to see both you and Andrew still popping in. So many of us have been through testing times over the years, yourself included. So thank you both so much for hanging in there as long as you did and helping with keeping the old info alive and well by transferring everything across.

I'm also keen to touch base with the old gang and get to know the newer members who will see me as the new member. 😜  ;D
Keep em comin!!!

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 05:30:47 PM »

It went pretty smoothly at the time thanks to A and L providing a really useful handover.
[/quote]

I'm just glad you were all able to work together and had the know how. My brain still turns to static with techo stuff .. nothing has changed there.

Yes, it's been a long road. Not sure if I'll get back into jewellery, if I do it will be completely on my terms.. definitely no more commissions...cabs were my main zen(which I started shaping to use in my own work) so that's where I'll start.
So much to relearn there, names, material info, still available or not etc etc.

Heck, most of the dealers I'd sourced have now moved on. So a complete restart.
Keep em comin!!!

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »
I used to have a boat and was a member of a boating forum for about 15 years. It had the same slow decline over the years, yet like this forum you could lookup info from years ago. I don't know why really, Facebook is a show and tell forum, not a library of info.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 03:09:42 PM »
Glad to hear you're dusting off the memory bank Mehoose. I'm out of the state at the moment, but if you fancy a bit of refresher training, I'll be back mid August. The club in Burnie is still going as well, in newish premises after our mammoth move a few years ago, you're more than welcome to call in. They're a good bunch of keen lapidarists with heaps of knowledge and a good sense of humour.
Common sense isn't exactly common

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 01:59:19 PM »
oooo are you following the opal trail shows? Totes jelly if you are and stand by for my shopping list!  ;D That's a mighty fine offer and something I might just take you up on.
I say G, just did a quick search for Burnie Lapidary club and on the right hand side of the page, it comes up with a large header saying 'Permanently closed'.You might want someone to make contact to fix that..or however you do it... maybe you( meaning the club president) can do it directly from the page without having to contact...not my forte.
Keep em comin!!!

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 01:55:49 PM »
Thanks for that, 'hoose, I'm currently in W.A. but will follow that up, I don't have much to do with the website nor do I look at it much these days.

Just had a look, it's Google Maps that thinks we're permanently closed, I've suggested an edit to them. Here's our current website address: https://burniedistrictgemstoneclub.weebly.com/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 02:00:24 PM by Bucket »

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 03:54:14 PM »
cheers Bucket.. are those times for real? Open only an hour and a half?  :o
Keep em comin!!!

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 07:54:20 PM »
No, another misprint, we're open until around 1 pm most open days, quite often until later, it really depends on how many are in attendance. The weather can have a bearing on that, although we do have heating now! I hear the it may be required over there at the moment?

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 12:02:21 PM »
oh that's much better! It's distance fuel wise and I just have to open my mouth and there's the hour 1/2 gone already... so I was a bit worried!  hotthirsty
Yep, the heater has gone on early afternoon a few days but definitely on every night now. One morning I had to turn it on for a couple of hours to make the room bearable for the day.
Yep... from what I've gleaned it's a member doing the site and at the moment, spelling oopsies aside, the vital info for potential members is either incorrect or missing altogether, eg Membership fees/hours/tabs overlapping etc and more thought put into folk needing to see the now upfront without digging, as opposed to being shown what used to be on offer but is no longer available, first up. It's like closing the door on someone before it's been fully opened.Hey, I'm not technical so I take my hat off to those who can do sites.
Anywho..if you want to chat further on ideas for you we can go through pm and no, I'm not after financials. ;)
Now for the thread to get back on track...
Keep em comin!!!

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 02:47:23 PM »
Yes - it is a great site and thanks very much to all!  I am on the Facebook sites as haven't been able to fossick much the last few years due to work and family commitments but love to see people's finds - but in terms of information this site is a treasure trove!  Thanks all!

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2023, 08:26:10 AM »
Still pop into ALF site and sometimes comment.  Last fossicking trip was 2021 so hope to get out again in 2024 if nothing gets in the way. Currently working on setting up our daughters house, still removing carpets and then there is the painting. :o Got a lot of digging in moving 40+ year old camelias and getting out stumps.
Hi mehoose and welcome back. And it is freezing here as well.

beers Jerry
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[February 26, 2024, 07:46:39 PM]

Trip to Castlemaine by Bucket
[February 26, 2024, 12:55:39 PM]

Central Vic Quartz by Manficat
[February 26, 2024, 10:17:06 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[February 19, 2024, 02:03:11 PM]

Club Badges or Pins by dughug
[February 15, 2024, 05:40:42 PM]

Facetron Encoder Mod Thread by Faceting Frank
[February 14, 2024, 03:19:28 PM]

Stone/gem identification by RoughCreations
[February 14, 2024, 08:00:47 AM]

Forum Update 2024 by swirly
[February 07, 2024, 09:52:43 AM]

Joke of the Day by JBK
[February 04, 2024, 10:18:33 PM]

Andrew Brown's latest Gemstone Faceting Designs book (Volume 6) is available now by MakkyBrown
[February 04, 2024, 09:14:10 PM]

Commercial Posting Rules by Bucket
[January 25, 2024, 05:34:12 PM]

Which grit should I use for ocean tumbled stones? by Faceting Frank
[January 24, 2024, 05:39:01 PM]

Inverell visit by Manficat
[January 21, 2024, 11:10:02 PM]

Star Sapphire? by Bucket
[January 18, 2024, 11:32:01 AM]

Heart of the Mountain by MakkyBrown
[January 16, 2024, 04:50:26 PM]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal