collapse

Author Topic: Faceting machine head assembly.  (Read 5812 times)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
Re: Faceting machine head assembly.
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2024, 11:50:20 AM »
MB, the screen runs on 3.3v to 5v, so it should work fine on the esp32 3.3v pin. Ghost, for some reason the drawing was turned 90deg to the right, so I turned the drawing 90deg left on my PC and uploaded that and it turned it 180deg right. Since then it has now turned the drawing another 90deg, so now its upside down. There is an edit picture option on here and I turned it round the right way up, but it won't save the changes.

Just to confirm, I connected the VCC pin of the TFT screen to the 3V3 pin on the ESP32, all works fine.

RC
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2024, 10:22:34 PM »
It's not the screen, but the encoder 5V logic the converter is for. I don't think the ESP32 pins are rated for 5V logic input. Might work but but for how long.

The pic I sent you showed the pinout I'm using for the screen(including touch) and it works.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2024, 11:31:55 PM »
As I understand it the USB power inlet on the esp32 is 5v. The esp32s 38pin has only one 5v pin outlet (which I’m using for the encoder) and one 3.3v. pin outlet (which I’m using for the screen). RC has kindly tried his 3.3v outlet on his screen and it works ok.
None of this is wired up yet, so I’m only assuming this is going to work ok. The link you put on MB regarding the TXS0108E 8 channel bi directional logic level converter module, is way over my head as to what it does.
I greatly appreciate the time you are both spending helping me with this.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2024, 08:11:28 AM »
That is correct wiring the screen to 3.3v and encoder 5V output. There is an on board 5V regulator that feeds the pin. Might be 0.5A.
It is the logic connections outputs from the encoder A, B, I that probably need converting. This can be done with resistors but the logic converter is easier. If you wired it up with out the converter it would probably work, but it is a question of how long as the ESP32 is not rated for 5V logic.
Here is a discussion from the official ESP32 forum.

https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=877
Use the logic convertor, I'd assume each channel is just wired up inline, then connect 5V, 3.3V and GND. There are other cheap converter boards, there is a 4 channel one but it might be more expensive. Lot of tutorials online, like this one I haven't watched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7aySy_0URE

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2024, 12:10:33 PM »
Ordered a TXS0108E, so I can convert the 3.3v outlet on the esp32 to 5v for the screen. RC is powering his encoder directly from the 5v on the esp32 and connecting all the rest of the encoder connections directly to the esp32. That must work ok, so will stick with that. Saved quite a few links to You Tube vids on connecting rotary encoders to arduino’s to displays. Will have to go through them and keep the ones most relevant and easy to follow.
Not going to worry about the upside down drawing, it can stay that way.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2024, 12:35:16 PM »
"connecting all the rest of the encoder connections directly to the esp32. That must work ok, so will stick with that."
It might work but it is incorrect. That is what the  TXS0108E is for, converting the A, B ,I encoder output signals to 3.3V from 5V. The ESP 32 is not rated for 5V logic.
Read this link again from the ESP32 manufactures forum.
https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=877
The ESP8266 RC has uses 3.3volt logic as well i think. I have some TXS0108E if  RC wanted one to try, have to crab it before Tuesday arvo. I also have NodeMCU ESP 32s. Or I could drop it in his letter box when I head off to Flinders.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2024, 03:21:55 PM »
I don't understand what those guys are on about on that link. I do know the encoder power input requires 5v and the esp32 power outlet I'm using is 5v. That converter module will change the esp32 3.3v outlet to 5v for the screen.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 03:24:42 PM by Faceting Frank »

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2024, 07:29:07 PM »
Away this long weekend. Didn't realise the esp32 required 3.3V logic, makes sense. Will aim at hooking up a logic level converter you posted a link to MB into my circuit to do things properly and long-term.

RC

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2024, 04:15:58 PM »
Got the 5v to 3.3v wired-up to the screen. Installed Arduino IDE on my PC and the cp2102 bridge controller, have the node mcu-32s setup in the Arduino, so I can now learn how to make “sketches”.
 Found some good You Tube vids for beginners on this after spending hours watching rubbish. Realised I must learn how this is all going to work, or if anything goes wrong, I’m stuffed. So, hopefully a couple of months from now will have the encoder setup and ready to fit to my machine.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2024, 08:55:02 PM »
Looking good. I would be tempted to start by running some of the example Sketches (programs) found under: File ... Examples ... ESP32 ... in the Arduino IDE menu.
Or even: File .. Examples ... 01.Basics.
See if you can get the Sketches to compile, then see if you can make changes to understand cause and effect.
You will have to configure your TFT screen libraries, (TFT_eSPI library) etc. before the screen will display stuff.
I will give you access to my online Github code repository.
RC

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2024, 09:56:28 AM »
Just spending a couple of hours per day on the programming ATM, because I want the mast and quill assembly finished and working. That part is going well and will keep my other thread up to date on it. Then I can spend a lot more time on the screen and encoder.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2024, 07:45:43 PM »
Spent some more time on my encoder setup lately.
Finally got the screen test program working. The info I got from the net was that my ILI9488 screen would work with the ILI9341 driver in Arduino. But this does not seem to be the case and cannot find an ILI9488 driver to upload into Arduino IDE.
Most of YouTube vids on this subject seem to be using the Arduino Uno board and ILI9341 screen, so I ditched the ESP32s and got an ESPUNO-32 board and ILI9341 screen. It’s much easier to follow the YouTube vids if you have the same setup as they have.
Getting some of those wires that come in different lengths and are bent at the ends to fit flat onto the development board, my current cable setup is good for trying things out, but they come out at the slightest touch.
The 5v to 3.3v converter is a real pain to use and needs to be soldered to it’s pins to work properly. Disconnected it to take this photo.
Still a lot to learn on how to make this all work on my machine.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2024, 04:24:46 PM »

Finally got the screen test program working. The info I got from the net was that my ILI9488 screen would work with the ILI9341 driver in Arduino. But this does not seem to be the case and cannot find an ILI9488 driver to upload into Arduino IDE.

Hi, you will need to install the TFT_eSPI and TFT_eWidget libraries by Bodmer, as it is the ones MB and I use. Use the Library Manager in the Arduino IDE to install the latest version. The IDE installs the libraries automatically from memory once you find the libraries in the IDE sidebar. Then there are a couple of steps to configure the libraries for your screen. I tried to make you a collaborator on my Github code repository a few weeks back, you should have got an email from Github. Let me know if you didn't receive it and I will try again.

RC

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2024, 08:04:48 PM »
Didn’t get an email from  Github RC, checked the deleted emails folder in case the wife deleted it and nothing there. Did include the TFT_eSPI library, but not the TFT_eWidget with the ILI9488 screen.
I have the ILI9341 working, so can get the ILI9488 screen to work later on.

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank