collapse

Author Topic: Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia  (Read 370 times)

PeterAUS

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia
« on: April 04, 2024, 09:20:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just saying hello from a newbie to jewellery making at 70 yrs of age. Also to woodworking as well. Won’t bore you all with history just suffice it to say I’ve worked a lot, suffer from a very bad back that destroyed my life and my families financially. Best job I had was being a theatre registered nurse. Assisting Drs save lives and put others back together. It was helping to save a life that ended my career and turned me into pretty much a recluse.

So I’ve decided to try and use my hands to create things for family and friends not looking as it being a money maker.

Have moved residences 32 times so far, last time split my whole family in four and worse. Now the Agent/landlord has told me we may be evicted in 4 to 9 months and my wife is retiring mid next year when she turns 7, in fact she should be already. But we are trying to save as much as we can to go with her superannuation to try and buy a house in the country and make that our final move put. Won’t have the income for a loan nor want to continue working. Rents are so high it’s gotten beyond a joke. And the price of housing is as bad as being in major cities or worse around the world. How migrants who supposedly have nothing arrive here then suddenly buy million dollar properties I don’t know. My daughter is unwell and works part time which is good. She has been unemployed before the last 2 yrs for 7 yrs. I wish I could change what happened but can’t.

I hope to be of some value here to others and hopefully get valuable hel and advice from others too.

Take care everyone life can be very short and unforgiving in oh so many ways.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:49:11 PM »
PeterAUS, welcome to ALF.  You have a lapidary club close by at Wentworthville.
https://parraholroydlapidaryclub.weebly.com/
They have plenty of gear, experience and older people that can help you get started.
 beers Jerry

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 11:58:45 AM »
Welcome!!  Activity on the forums is less than it used to be, but there are some insanely experienced and knowledgable people here so if you post any queries etc you will generally get very good replies.  Also a lot of excellent information if you search the threads.  Also strongly recommend you follow Jimnyjerry's advice and connect to your nearby club - typically very low cost to join and great resources and people.

PeterAUS

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 10:55:23 PM »
PeterAUS, welcome to ALF.  You have a lapidary club close by at Wentworthville.
https://parraholroydlapidaryclub.weebly.com/
They have plenty of gear, experience and older people that can help you get started.
 beers Jerry

Thanks Jerry will look them up. Only issue we got an eviction notice today, have to vacate by 2nd June. Will make move 33 in my 70 yrs. We haven’t done anything wrong the Agent and his wife want the place for Indian relatives migrating here. Or the are going to seek rent higher than we pay. Before the eviction notice we were told the rent will increase by $130 a week taking the rent to to $630 but he thinks he is going to get $700+. He also has a granny flat behind us rent is $500 for 2 bedroom small place. It’s getting out of hand. Don’t know what we are going to do. I’m so depressed now. I finally unpacked all the jewellery equipment I could find and will now have to pack it all away again.

Life shouldn’t be this hard.

As I in does tries!

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM »
Greetings and Welcome from Bonnybridge, Scotland, you housing situation really sucks!
Andrew
ASI Industries = As i in does tries! : My definition.
I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have
a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

RTH Forums: Lapidary Vendors Worldwide

My Pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/asiindustries/albums

My Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ASIIndoestries

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM »
I really feel for you Peter AUS.... We are in a simular situation here on the Gold Coast... We pay $1100pf in rent out of our Pension and are living on Air..... It sucks big time... Next year, We will be forced out of the Goldy and Will be living on the road. At least what we get in a Pension will be ours to travel with...  Im at a loss at what to do as We need to stay in our Health District for Hospital Treatment... Life when you enter the twilight years should be easy going, not a battle everyday... I have even thought about a move to the Victorian country as rents seem cheaper, but im worried that it just might be a step backwards as everyone from down south has moved up here.. I hope you do find somewhere to call 'Home'... Its very hard out there ATM...

Gemster....
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Recent Activities

Vale Woofa by fossickeract
[April 30, 2024, 09:59:12 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by Pete49
[April 30, 2024, 02:19:09 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Gemster
[April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]