collapse

Author Topic: claims  (Read 6296 times)

dad

• ALF'er Bronze Member
claims
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
Could someone inform me on what's involved in staking a claim, be it in Qld or NSW.
I've searched allover but cannot find any specific nuts and bolts information.
Hope it's not too silly a question!.

Peter

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
Re: claims
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:25:30 PM »
Hi Peter,

I got advice on this last year from a machinery miner in QLD, which state are you looking for or location, I think states are different laws so to be of further help that information is needed.

Take Care,
Deb ;D
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »

Qld has systems in place for small Claims,unfortunately last time I looked the NSW Mining Claim system was awkward to the stage of not been practical unless you are really keen. Unlike QLD you can hand work ( fossicking not Mining ) in NSW as long as the landholder gives you permission and you backfill. There are of course areas protected from mining and regulations that still need to be followed.I think its the case that NSW just doesn't no how to handle areas like Lightning Ridge so it trys to limit new small miners,a pity but the facts.
 Hopefully a QLD claim holder can give some hands on info.
Cheers Andrew

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
Gday dad, this may be long winded but here goes, we have 2 mining claims at rubyvale its not that difficult a process but it can take some time from start to finish. Here is the mines and energy website that contains most of what you need. http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/mines/tenure_types.cfm
To Get the paperwork for Rubyvale  area you could drop into or ring Mines and energy at emerald and they will forward the paper work you need to you.
Basicly first you need to get a prospecting permit in order to be able to peg. It has a term of 3 months ( about $20). Then you need to find a spot. You need 4 white posts about 1.5m long ( I just bought a length of 125mm pvc and cut it into 4) with your Name and when you peg add the date. You need a start reference point If it is next to an existing claim you can have For example 1meter North of NW corner of MC 71005 then take compass bearings in order for the other 3 pegs max  size 30m x 30m (.009of hectareI think) or equivilant matching area. Eg 30m 90 deg, 30m 180 deg 30m 270 deg 30m 360 deg. The bearings on the claim need to close at the finish. The staff at Emerald Mines dept are very hepful.If that looks to hard you could try putting in the pegs and I dont know if he still does it but if you ask  around you can get a local machinary miner (All round good bloke) Jim Elliot from Coolamon Mines to do the surveying for you He used to very reasonable (bottle of White Horse) but i am not sure if he is still doing it. His opinion is that Hand miners are the lifeblood of the comunity / economy out there now and is happy to help out. Submit the completed Paper work - Application for mining claim &  Enviromental authority from Epa (about $150 all up) Then the mines Dept will flood you with paper work and give you a few hurdles to jump.  Then it just a waiting game til its approved and you will have to post a bond of Approx $1000 which is refundable if you surrender the claim. Ongoing costs about $270 rates (thats Right!!!) a year and about $25 rental Per Year to the Lands Dept
OR you could look around and buy an existing claim as there is usually a few for sale. People peg and then dont come back and try and offload them you can get a good buy nowe and then but make sure you look into it.
Long winded but hope its helpful
If you have any ? feel free to ask I may be a bit slow replying but i will help if i can.
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:09 AM »
Hey dad.

As drft_er said, if you stake in a designated fossicking area you are restricted to a 30m x 30m claim. If you are able to stake outside of a fossicking area, (usually with the permission of a land owner) you are able to peg up to 1 hectare.

I have a booklet put out by Mines and Energy regarding mining claims and I can send you a copy if you want to pm me your address. It is quite informative.

Sorry drft_er, rates have gone up. Council now wants $378, they now ask for $1500 security, and the annual fee is now $38.00. Send me an email next time you are in Rubyvale and we should catch up.
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

dad

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:41:03 AM »
Now thats the reason I joined ALF.

Thanks for the input everyone, you are great !!

Peter

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:59 AM »
Gday Bluey, Will do we have to get out there in the next month or so but Looking at the 4 day forcast on BOM looks like you might get very wet feet by the weekend.
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

dad

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:13 AM »
Hey Bluey,

Got the booklet in the post yesterday

Many thanks
Peter

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »
Your welcome.  8)

Hey drft_er.

Sorry I didn't realiase you posted there. Anyway, I think I answered your question on the other post.

If you ever need info, please don't hesitate to pm me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:48:59 PM by Bluey Zarzoff »
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank