collapse

Author Topic: Faceting synthetics for profit  (Read 678 times)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
Faceting synthetics for profit
« on: June 10, 2024, 12:32:45 PM »
I have never had a go at faceting any synthetic stones, it just didn't seem right to me, and many people seemed to argue on various forums that it was a waste of time as the resultant gem would be very low value. The general consensus is to buy quality, natural and therefore expensive rough and cut it well. This approach clearly makes sense, however I think there are other 'models' that work also.

For example, I had a working model for a while where I would cut large natural smoky quartz using distinctive designs. I had pieces on consignment in a physical shop frequented by tourists (now closed) where these pieces were displayed, and was surprised at the prices some of the stones sold for. Clearly people were paying for a piece of artwork, not $/ct.

I have noticed on Instagram etc that some facetors that cut very large stones using distinctive designs in high RI coloured synthetics, (usually lighter less saturated material) get a lot of attention, many queries on price, and people wishing to buy them. These stones are probably not destined for jewellery, so I guess the stones end up on static display, like my Smokies.

There are a few things going on here, maybe some are:
1) the wide exposure you can get from social media
2) Generation Z often having good disposable income
3) Generation Z having their own view on synthetic stones
4) the impact of presenting a large, high RI/high dispersion stone cut in an artistic interesting gem design (no SRB's here)

So, for example, would I be better off cutting the designs I used to in smoky quartz, or moving to synthetics where the material would have much better optical properties? I would be interested in people's views on cutting synthetics for profit, and any personal experience, and so on,

RC
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 12:36:14 PM by RoughCreations »
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Faceting synthetics for profit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 12:50:41 PM »
RC, I purchased two cut coloured CZ stones from a shop in Melbourne a year or so ago. While I haven't weighed them they would be around the 10 carat mark. They are well cut and one is a peach colour, the other is amethyst purple. This convinced me NOT to cut man made for profit, as they only cost me $20 each. I think it would have cost me move for CZ rough. I do have some man made quartz to cut, that is because I liked the colour, not to sell. Having said all that, I rarely cut to sell stuff, it's more for the pleasure of cutting.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 08:17:26 PM »
I don’t think you could make much money out of cutting anything these days. Asian cutters are cutting X number of stones per hour, not hours per stone.
It is personally satisfying to have someone wanting you to cut a stone for them and I cut a few back in the 80s for people, but what I made from it just paid for more rough and other gear.

Alaskan

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Will AI have curiosity and a sense of humor?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 09:33:28 PM »
Interesting... I cut a lab created Ruby (boule) 40 years ago and a jeweler my wife had do some work for her removed a citrine from a setting to mount the Ruby told her these stones are not costly. The ring is beautiful and I learned faceting is for some of us a mystery of the unexpected - a rough stone becoming a unique example of something that can only be created by the faceter. Throw a handful of faceted stones in the woods and in a thousand years they will be much as the day they came off of your dop. Will they look the same in millions of years? I facet lab created Zircon for practice and now retired it is still a mystery how the brain reacts to the rainbow in a drop of water or stone. I'm simple.

PS: I shared a Lee machine with my brother and dad - then got too busy with work.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 09:54:07 PM by Alaskan »

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 09:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking more of cutting large, unique stones, more along the lines of some of the stuff Hashnu Stones does. The finished stone would typically be 40ct plus for quartz. Not big-noting myself, but I earned $825 AUD consignment payment for a single ~35ct smoky quartz eye-design I cut a few years ago. I mention this only because it has opened my eyes (joke) to this approach, and the potential of a reasonable return on cutting time and effort. So I am considering maybe cutting the same style of designs as I have in the past, but in higher RI (man-made) materials.
RC

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 02:21:07 PM »
Go for it.
The worst that can happen is that you have a lot of fun,
and build a spectacular brag box of non-saleable but beautiful gemstones.
(Just like me.    Only every sold one (1) stone.)
Cheers,
Ghost.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 08:10:44 AM »
Yeah, I will give it a go, and report back at some point.
RC

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[July 12, 2024, 07:43:51 PM]

converting designs by slimey
[July 10, 2024, 11:09:59 AM]

Gemmasta Model GFE 3 by Rusted
[July 08, 2024, 10:50:00 AM]

Prospecting in qld, North Brisbane area. General help for a newb! by Bucket
[July 07, 2024, 12:43:30 PM]

Agate Master Faceting Machine circa 1980s (or earlier) by PCH
[June 29, 2024, 04:40:39 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Bucket
[June 29, 2024, 10:04:56 AM]

Halls Extra quill attachment help please. by Gemlicker
[June 28, 2024, 03:31:24 PM]

Chipping - running in reverse by Ghost
[June 25, 2024, 02:14:12 PM]

Joke of the Day by Conan
[June 23, 2024, 01:15:29 PM]

NSW Dept of PERE campaign against highbankers, they are now illegal in NSW by Conan
[June 23, 2024, 01:12:18 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by PeterAUS
[June 23, 2024, 02:47:27 AM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by Alaskan
[June 18, 2024, 10:14:53 AM]

Dial Gauges by Alaskan
[June 17, 2024, 08:48:58 PM]

Faceting synthetics for profit by RoughCreations
[June 14, 2024, 08:10:44 AM]

Advice needed on the Hall Xtra faceting machine by Gemlicker
[June 13, 2024, 10:26:18 PM]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal