collapse

Linked Events

• Minerama: March 11, 2016 - March 13, 2016

Author Topic: Minerama  (Read 48932 times)

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Minerama
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »
Wonder why the Local Gem Club doesn't want to get involved ::)

Wish they would stop using the tag 'Biggest Show'.... You can only use this tag if you are.... Lismore, to name one has far more Tailgaters, Dealers and Triple the Visitors..... Even some of the long time traders are calling this Minerama their last......  :P
I can't understand why there's so much us and them when it comes to organising these events....
Example... The Local Council sponsors Minerama but there's no funding for Gemfest? Same Area... it's these type of things that Divides Communities yet they are only a stones throw away from each other..... 
There are many Experienced Fossickers in the area who Were willing to lead Field trips but
 when you are ignored or given a hard time for your input and effort... Then why Bother >:(
Sometimes it's the little things like a free lunch or a bit of 'petrol money' For the Leaders to guide a group of people all over the countryside over several days...
Surprised they Don't charge them $20 bucks as well......  >:(    After all that's what interest them the most, Making $$$$$$

Gemster..... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »

Last time I looked the Local Gem Club members were too old to be active or very mobile and that was 3 years ago, so they are even older now.  ;D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »

Last time I looked the Local Gem Club members were too old to be active or very mobile and that was 3 years ago, so they are even older now.  ;D

There appears to be some new younger members but I dont think perhaps the committee has asked them in recent years - there were some helpers on field trips long ago but had to really drag even that commitment out of them.  Only a small club so numbers of available helpers are limited - as you say some of them are getting on and not really up to traipsing about the countryside.

They have always had a place on the committee but it has been many years since I attended a meeting that had a representative present so you just give up asking after a while I suppose. Of course, it has been some time since we were involved so cannot speak to the current situation.

They are only a small club and I suppose they dont see that there is any direct benefit to them by helping unlike other shows where the club runs the event and directly benefits from the funds raised.

Lots of difficult issues that are not easy to resolve.

cheers
leah
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:30:34 PM by Aussie Sapphire »
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 05:16:43 PM »
For the first time I bit the bullet and booked on line. >:(
Did not feel like driving all the way up to just miss out. :(

Mind you will probably still chat to people who line up and book on the day  ;)

Odd thing the first page of Conditions and Terms are both empty, you have to scroll to page 2.

More puzzling is that no conditions are listed that apply to the fossicking field trips.

GLEN VIC

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »
I have been reading through the various postings and will endeavour to answer the best way possible and that is up front.

Committee: - The Committee is a 355 Community Committee of Council made up of Volunteers. As the Manager of Tourism and Events I attend meetings but have no voting rights...nor does the Event office staff. The Council funds the Committee for $18,000 for admin staff, traffic control and parks and gardens. The Committee funds everything else from trader fees, sponsorship and donations. I also endeavour to acquire Grant Funding each year.

The Committee holds an AGM within about 4 weeks of Minerama and invites the community to become involved. This is advertised through the local paper (feature and public notice). In the past 3 1/2 years the Community interest has been minimal...to the point that in the past 2 years no interest has been forthcoming despite efforts to talk personally with people.

In funding of events, Council each year looks at the Return to the Visitor Economy for the funding allocated. The Event Policy has 4 categories of events: - "Signature, Key, Secondary and New" based on a number both Essential and Desirable Criteria. The principle ones being Economic Value to the LGA, Reach (intrastate and interstate visitors), number attending, how many times held and if held annually and how many volunteers are involved to make the event a success.

The Visitor Economy is the strategic element - i.e. what is the event worth to the local community. Being a rural Council events attract visitors, visitors spend money in town. The multiplier effect for Tourism of new money coming into town is worth 1.8 times. For every $$ spent it is worth $1.80 to our community.

It was suggested last year that my estimate of the economic value for Minerama was too low at $100k and I think that this is probably true. I am endeavouring to come to a more accurate figure for this year. As an example, several years ago the Celtic Festival was estimated to be worth $1.4m to the Visitor Economy.

Emmaville Gemfest is another event held in the Glen Innes Severn area. The Gemfest Committee were given a Donation of $1000 for the 2015 event from Council---remembering that it had not been held for a number of years.  As well the VIC undertook 2 weeks of Social Media advertising to support the Show. The Emmaville Sheep Races have also been given $2000 for their event the week following Minerama and this will be backed up with Social Media advertising from the VIC.

Council has a number of ways other than direct financial support that events, festivals and programs can be assisted and the VIC is always happy to assist where possible.

TRIPS
Yes there are inevitably those who do not follow the instructions and make life difficult and yes we have challenges to meet at the Show. However the vast majority of our patrons and visitors are appreciative of the event and we love having them.

Waterloo Station
I wonder unless the area is personally known by the previous Poster, whether it really matters whether the fossicking is going to take place on the first or second bend of the Wellingrove Creek at Waterloo Station. Les Beeching has been to the location and worked with the farm manager to select a suitable area. The specific area is offered by the owners and took some discussion to have them come on board again after the previous challenges. The area will be mowed and marked and for this year only 30 people will be allowed onsite. Next year that could be increased depending on the success of this year.

For the Matheson site check the details in my previous post and the details and photos will be uploaded by Monday. Matheson probably should read probably Wellingrove and is a New Site for 2016. In fact it is just west of the Wellingrove Fossicking Reserve on private property. Look to fixing that next year. I will make an amendment on the Website.

Pretty Valley....yes unusual to say boundary to boundary. I will check and look for a more accurate description.

Largest Show in NSW...I am happy to acknowledge that there are other shows that have more traders, visitors etc., but it is my understanding that Minerama is by far the largest that also includes Fossicking Trips along with Traders and Visitor etc. It maybe a moot point but a defining one. If anyone is able to shed some light on this point I would ensure that future Minerama Fossicking, Gem and Jewellery Show advertising is adjusted.

There are many Experienced Fossickers in the area who were willing to lead Field trips but when you are ignored or given a hard time for your input and effort ... Then why Bother

I can only comment on my experience over the past 3 years...if there are many experienced fossickers who are willing to lead field trips please share their names...the Committee would welcome their assistance. Some unfortunately are not able to volunteer within the scope of the duties of a Leader for the benefit of the tag along fossickers.

Field trip leaders are to be just that...being a LEADER, providing advice, help, assistance to those who are on the trips that day. We have received complaints from fossickers in the past that the leader was hardly seen and was off doing their own fossicking.

The Committee's priority is to ensure that fossickers have a great time and want to come back next year and to bring their friends. One bad experience and you have to think twice.

Next Years 2017 Festival will carry out another Visitor Survey. This will make it our 3rd Survey and we will have good data to work towards making Minerama better. I am currently working on a 2016 - 2020 Strategic/Business Plan to drive the Show forward. All input as to how the show can be improved will be welcome. Obviously ensuring great fossicking sites is imperative. With 6 new sites this year we have taken notice of one of the challenges being faced.

Peter Teschner

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:50 PM »
Odd thing the first page of Conditions and Terms are both empty, you have to scroll to page 2.
More puzzling is that no conditions are listed that apply to the fossicking field trips.

One size fits all does not always fit well.   8)

Leah

GLEN VIC

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
Jimnyjerry...thanks for the post I have asked the Software Booking Company to let me know why not showing up. The reason you also see Celtic Festival Information is that the Booking System is used for all our events not just Minerama. So information in some areas has to be general and should be ignored. I will work to make that more relevant and generalised. Leah is correct sometimes one size does not fit all

Peter

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:28 PM »
Thank you for this lengthy response - this is the kind of engagement that I think many are looking for.  I definitely think it is possible for all of us to work together to improve ANY kind of event so please take the comments posted here as constructive feedback.  Continued communication here and elsewhere would be greatly appreciated.

The Visitor Economy is the strategic element - i.e. what is the event worth to the local community. Being a rural Council events attract visitors, visitors spend money in town. The multiplier effect for Tourism of new money coming into town is worth 1.8 times. For every $$ spent it is worth $1.80 to our community.

It was suggested last year that my estimate of the economic value for Minerama was too low at $100k and I think that this is probably true. I am endeavouring to come to a more accurate figure for this year. As an example, several years ago the Celtic Festival was estimated to be worth $1.4m to the Visitor Economy.

:-[   This suggestion probably came from me - I know I was a bit cheesed at the time at the calculations.

The figures presented in the Council business paper were actually as follows based on my admittedly slightly stroppy email at the time:

Figures presented:
Event                                  No.Visitors               Economic Value
Australian Celtic Festival         3,800                   $1.4m
Minerama                                2,000                   $80,000
Glen Innes Show                     3,000                   $100,000 (estimated)

This works out to be $368 per Celtic Festival visitor and only $40 per Minerama visitor - based on your 1.8 multiplier you are estimating a spend of just over $200 for the Celtic Festival and just over $20 for the Minerama visitor.

I dont mind admitting that I found that estimate way off base given that you have two large dealers who operate out of this town (ourselves and Gemhunters Haven) - we both live here and spend locally without accounting for any of the accommodation and daily incidentals.

I will acknowledge (and have done here a number of times) that the job is challenging but constructive feedback is given in the hope that the event will continue to grow - not go the other direction.

cheers
leah

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
Thank you for the feed back Glen :)

It was very enlightening.

As to "Pretty Valley....yes unusual to say boundary to boundary. I will check and look for a more accurate description."
That is incorrect. The trip referred to was Trip 8: Fernbrook.

Cheers,
Jerry

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »

This works out to be $368 per Celtic Festival visitor and only $40 per Minerama visitor - based on your 1.8 multiplier you are estimating a spend of just over $200 for the Celtic Festival and just over $20 for the Minerama visitor.

I dont mind admitting that I found that estimate way off base given that you have two large dealers who operate out of this town (ourselves and Gemhunters Haven) - we both live here and spend locally without accounting for any of the accommodation and daily incidentals.

I agree Leah that figure of $40 is way low.
For a fossicker start with the cost of 6 to 7 days of accommodation, fuel, shopping, breakfasts and dinners either bought and cooked or eaten out. And that is without any field trips.
Then there are the dealers with at least 4 days and then the day trippers and locals.

Cheers,
Jerry
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:53:09 AM by Jimnyjerry »

TG

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »
Wonder why the Local Gem Club doesn't want to get involved ::)

One of the locations is owned by a glen innes Lapidary club member.

Amachris

• ALF'er Bronze Member
  • Amanda and Chris
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »

Wow would of been happy to spend $20 for our visit to Minerama in 2014 ,but I think we would have been closer to a $2000 spend when we consider fuel,accomodation,meals and products bought from traders etc
As well as money spent on the road travelling to and from ,fuel and meals etc
And we didn't get to do Feild trips in the three days we attended as the sites listed for those days where not that impressive
More than happy to spend our tourist dollars in small towns as we love the region and hope that events like Minerama continue in to the future
Will be there this year if time permits
On a journey of adventure to learn , see , speck and sieve

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
When I initially questioned the economic benefit figures, this was part of the response:

"I have spoken to at least 10 business operators in the CBD and the primary response is that they see no upturn in turnover when Minerama is on. "

Based on this and the estimated economic benefit to the community, the event was lucky to get the support from council that it did.  And it was a primary reason why support was withdrawn from the smaller events such as Gemfest.

Minerama is a different event to the Celtic Festival so some businesses that may do well there might not do quite as well during Minerama - conversely, other businesses do well and appreciate the extra visitors in town that weekend.  And that is without considering at all two local businesses who are also relevant dealers (although Aussie Sapphire does not actually operate AT the show, we certainly get extra $$ from visiting customers - thank you to those who trek out to our warehouse to say hello and maybe get some gear).

Perhaps part of the problem is that many of the Celtic Visitors are very visible.  If you are a Minerama visitor and are shopping in our newly upgraded main street, feel free to tell the shop owner that you are visiting for Minerama so they know about it and can appreciate that the event DOES benefit our town as well as hopefully being fun to attend.

There are also some interesting shops OFF the main street - the lady visitors who might appreciate something a bit quirky are recommended to visit the Knick Knackery.  We have two good second hand book shops. Now have a new greengrocer so you can get fresh produce (fresher than Woolies or Coles) at really cheap prices. Fantastic coffee and fresh strawberries at the Super Strawberry - at the very least take a jar of home made jam home with you.

Aussie Sapphire certainly welcomes all of you to Glen Innes in March and look forward to seeing as many of you as possible.

Leah
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:59:37 AM by Aussie Sapphire »

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »
The Visitor Economy is the strategic element - i.e. what is the event worth to the local community. Being a rural Council events attract visitors, visitors spend money in town.

During last years Gemfest, EVERY source of accommodation in town was taken. Both pubs & the caravan park was FULLY booked out. The local community benefited greatly from the influx of visitors that also benefited Glen Innes, Inverell & Deepwater areas.
IF the Visitor Economy is the strategic element then surely just by the success of Gemfest, funding MUST be increased to show that benefit.

It has been rumored that Tailgaters are not allowed to camp by their tables & must book into a hotel / caravan park. What is the truth about this rumor?
It is fine for inside traders to stay in hotels BUT due to security concerns, tailgaters should NOT be expected to leave their valuable goods left unattended.
I did suggest to have Minerama moved to the showgrounds as it has all the facilities set up including undercover areas, toilets, showers, powered sites, etc but this was met with "it will never happen". I wanted to make Minerama the Australian version of Tucson which brings in millions of $$ to the economy by inviting o/s traders. In doing so, visitor numbers would be huge & really put us on the Fossicking World Map.

When visitors come here for Minerama they tend to stay around for at least a week. In years past, there used to be Field Trips for 7 days which were all very well attended. The 4 days of trips last year were a huge success & from the comments I received, everyone was thankful. I didnt get ANY negative responses. Having the Sheep Races the following weekend, some people stay around to attend that & look around for places to go to exploring the region. We had over 1000 ppl attend the races last year of which maybe 25% had come up for Minerama.
By going to places like Lismore & advertising Minerama there, dealers WILL come which was proven by last years increase in numbers of dealers. Some of whom had never heard of Minerama when I spoke to them.

To advertise in the local area is fine BUT more needs to be done to let ALL Lapidary / Faceting Clubs know about this event. We have had visitors from all states as well as overseas due to "word of mouth" & social media (websites & Facebook) we MUST ensure everything is done to keep them coming back year after year.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:39:33 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
 beers  Very well said Lord_Thunda... :D.. According to the website, There is NO Camping on site and they recommend you stay in a motel or as such..... I am  talking about Traders here, not the Public.... The Showgrounds would be the Best site to bring back the Atmosphere it once had.... Larger Area with good facilities and Undercover... Both Better for the Public and Traders.....
Back in the 70s and 80s Minerama was THE EVENT.. I have been reading old Lapidary Mags from the 60s through to the 90s and Minerama was mentioned in every issue in some way.... Now you are lucky to even find the Event mentioned in the Mags that are out there these days...... It's a shame that Things have changed..... Maybe  the Powers to Be may make a few changes after getting some Feedback... And make Future Mineramas  an Event not to be Missed...

Thank-you Peter for the insight to the way Minerama is run... ::) We know that keeping everyone Happy is not an easy job...
 If the Guides want to be known then they shall Speak-up cause im not in the position to name Them 8)  But I am sure after a few changes These Experienced Guides may want to lead again.....

As for $40 per day.... I Wish I could do Mimerama on that amount... Try finding Accom for that price, never alone Eating, Field Trips, Fuel to get there and back and purchasing a few Goodies as well.... I know it costs me about $600 to Attend for 3 or 4 days... Double if my Missus wants to come ::)..... So Time for a review of the Figures I think....  ???

And Thank-you to the Member of the Gem Club for putting his Property up this year... now for more owners to come forward ..... Lets make sure we are all invited back next year.....
 And We Do the Right Thing..... ;)

Gemster..... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Recent Activities

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Mestrelascas
[Today at 04:06:41 AM]

Tomahawk creek by Besty
[May 14, 2024, 07:00:25 PM]

Victorian Sapphires by Manficat
[May 13, 2024, 06:50:09 PM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank