collapse

Author Topic: 96 -80 Index wheels for facet star machine  (Read 4161 times)

cliffsearch

• ALF'er Silver Member
96 -80 Index wheels for facet star machine
« on: November 02, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
Hi, I have a Facet Star faceting machine. It only has a 64 and a 60 index wheel. Is there any chance of buying a 96 or 80 index wheel for this machine. I've enclosed a PDF Photo of my 60 index wheel. I currently have the 64 index attached cutting a stone.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: 96 -80 Index wheels for facet star machine
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
Hi Cliff

Sizes would really help, Diameter, diameter of the hole, thickness.
I think the bore size of the hole would need to be quite accurate down to Thousandths of an inch, outside Diameter not so much but obviously the more accurate the better, thickness probably hardly matters.

You are probably going to have to get one made or try and bastardise something off another machine. Accurate sizes will help us figure which if any other machines index wheels might be close enough to be bastardised.

Any decent engineering works should have a milling machine and index head to be able to make one, I doubt it will be cheap but then buying one from another machine isn't going to be cheap either and you still need to make it fit.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
Hi, I have a Facet Star faceting machine. It only has a 64 and a 60 index wheel. Is there any chance of buying a 96 or 80 index wheel for this machine. I've enclosed a PDF Photo of my 60 index wheel. I currently have the 64 index attached cutting a stone.

Did you see the suggestions in the other thread?

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6100.msg54292;topicseen#new

Apart from information about how to convert designs, Ghost advised that you should check if Robilt indexes will fit as they looked similar.  Probably better to keep the discussion in the same thread.

As Rusted notes, we cannot really help unless you advise full dimensions of the index - a photo does not really help all that much without this additional information.

Also - please do not attach photos as attachments - we really do need them to be added to the Media Gallery and inserted into messages via there. 

As per instructions here:  http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4671.0

Adding them as attachments is not convenient for members and takes up space in that folder which is limited.  Please use the Gallery instead.

Cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Ken

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »

Hi Cliffsearch,

Can you send me the dimensions of one of your index wheels, diameter, thickness, diameter of hole and some pics of it any I may be able to knock you up a 96 tooth. I have made one for my machine and it works fine - my faceting sucks but the wheel is great  ;D

cliffsearch

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

Did you see the suggestions in the other thread?

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6100.msg54292;topicseen#new

Apart from information about how to convert designs, Ghost advised that you should check if Robilt indexes will fit as they looked similar.  Probably better to keep the discussion in the same thread.

As Rusted notes, we cannot really help unless you advise full dimensions of the index - a photo does not really help all that much without this additional information.

Also - please do not attach photos as attachments - we really do need them to be added to the Media Gallery and inserted into messages via there. 

As per instructions here:  http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4671.0

Adding them as attachments is not convenient for members and takes up space in that folder which is limited.  Please use the Gallery instead.

Cheers
Leah
No problems. I just used the options down below at the bottom, when posting a new thread. Had files like PDF and some other file options. I'll use the media gallery. Once I work out how it works. Regards Cliff

cliffsearch

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:01:54 PM »

Hi Cliffsearch,

Can you send me the dimensions of one of your index wheels, diameter, thickness, diameter of hole and some pics of it any I may be able to knock you up a 96 tooth. I have made one for my machine and it works fine - my faceting sucks but the wheel is great  ;D

Hi Ken, being far from a engineer do I measure with precision calipers ? The notches in the wheel are different ( like a rectangular notch )....Great job on making your own wheel. Cheers Cliff

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:15:35 PM »
Cliff

If you aren't using the 60 index, how about putting it in a postbag and send it to Ken, that way he can take his own measurements  and get everything perfect.
Great offer from Ken by the way.

cliffsearch

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

Hi Cliffsearch,

Hi Ken, I sent you a PM....Here's photo of a 60 index wheel.
http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/gallery/8/70484-071117182705.jpeg

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Manficat
[May 13, 2024, 06:50:09 PM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]