collapse

Linked Events

• Minerama - Glen Innes: March 06, 2014 - March 09, 2014

Author Topic: Minerama - Glen Innes  (Read 55449 times)

Klingon

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: Minerama - Glen Innes
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 09:52:10 PM »
Looking forward to Minerama....I hope the field trips are still on ?!?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind :- Dr Seuss

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 12:55:45 AM »
 may be I will see you there Klingon

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »
Went out to Glencoe today & would like some feedback from people who have been there.
The site we looked at was the free fossicking site on the eastern side of the highway. I did see some spinel there & quite a few holes dug in various places.
2nd site we went to was Sara River near the tennis court. Found some quartz there & some wash tho no other indicators.
My main questions are :-
1. What would you guys/girls prefer?
2. Is there any other places in the Glencoe area that would be worth checking out for a trip?
Due to the time factor of only having a month to go, they would like to keep Glencoe as a site so any suggestions would be very helpful.

Capt. Mendoza

• ALF'er VIP
  • Arrg...Where's me buried treasure!
    • Jewellery Pirate
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »
I'd go for kookabookra if you can gain access to the private property tailings next to the "free" to dig area...
8)  www.JewelleryPirate.com.au/blog - The Jewellery Pirate's fossicking adventures...

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 07:40:37 AM »
Glencoe: site is basically free anyway and (IMHO) not much good. The Minerama trip I mentioned which ran a few years back was on the other side of the highway and they had to get permission from the Rural Lands Protection Board (or whatever its current name is). It still wasn't much good. I've never heard of any other areas at Glencoe.
Kookabookra: also free and can produce some good material for those who like getting wet. As the Captain says, you need access to private land but I'm no help to you there.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 07:48:47 AM »
The site we looked at was the free fossicking site on the eastern side of the highway.

It is exactly this reason that the committee should have had more information on the website re field trips.  I understand they have had some problems re late resignation of the field trip organiser but the free Glencoe site was not a very good idea unless they want to make that one no charge.

Not sure why they expecting people to pay $15 a head to visit a site that they can go to for FREE.  To be honest I would be pretty cheesed off if I paid in advance for that trip and then found it was to a free fossicking site.

There have got to be some locals that can tee up some private land - Bob, Gavin ???

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

fredwilma

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
hello everyone
we were last at minerama 2010 and had a great time ,even found a nice 33ct blue during one of the trips which I've cut to 8cts for Wilma. so with drought and stock feeding up here getting us down, we decided to have a break by coming to minerama14 so prebooked c/van park and fossicking trips,and the first trip chosen is glencoe. after reading the last post about glencoe, am somewhat dismayed to read it's not much good ,especially when we've prepaid for 4 adults (Wilma's sister and brother in law coming with us for their first ever fossicking adventure). better contact the trip organisers to see if we can change if this is correct about glencoe being a public fossicking area.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 09:49:34 AM »
better contact the trip organisers to see if we can change if this is correct about glencoe being a public fossicking area.

Just give the Visitor Information Centre a call and explain the situation. I am sure something can be worked out.

We need to give the committee a bit of a break as they did have that late resignation of the trip organiser which has left them in the lurch a bit.  Should all be ok when it rolls around particularly with some extra local help from those familiar with the possible areas (unfortunately not being active fossickers ourselves, this is not something we can help with).

Not to worry - Minerama 2014 is going to be a ripper and everyone should have a great time.

cheers
Leah

Klingon

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »
may be I will see you there Klingon

We will be there for sure ! Looking forward to a break as well. (if you can call digging and sifting a break lol)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind :- Dr Seuss

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
 There still seems to be a little confusion regarding the Glencoe Site - I'm certainly still confused hotthirsty

Hopefully this will be confirmed early next week but I think hotthirsty that it is not the free site but another close by in the Glencoe area and if so GREAT ;D   

As major sponsors to Minerama, Aussie Sapphire want it to be a great event for visitors -  we have made our views clear that charging for a Free Site will backfire and its something we think is wrong.  Although it seemed from Bob's message further down that it was the free site, our advice from yesterday was that it was another site nearby. Still waiting for more info.

Still seems to be some very hard to understand info coming from Council Staff on behalf of the Committee.  It would make it so much better if exact clarification came from a authorized member of Minerama as a staff member can only pass on what they are told - they do a great job but can only do what they are told.

No need to panic yet but surely we can get a clear answer in the next day or so ::)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:21:44 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

GLEN VIC

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
A couple of updates.

Note the confusion over Glencoe...but a new site. The following is a copy of clarification sent to an enquiry we received: -
In response to your concerns about the Field Trip to Glencoe being a “free fossicking site”
This is not a known spot to many fossickers and is not on our fossicking brochure. Glen Innes Tourism cannot send fossickers that enquire to go fossicking to this spot because it is policy that only designated fossicking sites as are in the Fossicking brochure can be recommended.

This spot was identified by one of our most respected fossickers here in the Glen Innes district and when the Minerama Committee Field Trip officer was taken out to this place by this fossicker it was decided that it would be an excellent days fossicking to take a group. They then carried out the required  Risk Assessment  which has been submitted to the insurer and it passed on all aspects of safety and accessibility.

Minerama is taking this special guided  Field Trip there and it is hoped that all that attend will find the experience a satisfying one in every way.

THE MINERAMA DINNER

Date: Saturday 8 March 2014
 Venue:  The Crystal Room Restaurant, Glen Innes & District Services Club in the private dining room
 Time:  From 6.30 pm
 Cost:  $20 per head Includes: Two course dinner consisting of the roast of the day plus dessert, tea and coffee.

Also includes guest speaker: Pam Hutchins “Wide Bay Valuations” to give a brief talk and take questions from the audience.

LIMITED TICKETS. Booking essential by phoning Julie at Glen Innes and District Services Club 02 67321355 during business hours.

All welcome, but please book now. We are looking to make this an annual event and will be looking for presenters for 2105.

Peter Teschner
Manager Tourism and Events

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
Help! I know someone maybe Bob posted a copy of the Minerama Brochure.  Just cannot locate it
Tried last hour  ::)

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2014, 04:02:37 PM »
Help! I know someone maybe Bob posted a copy of the Minerama Brochure.  Just cannot locate it
Tried last hour  ::)

I'll scan one in for you - just give me a tick.  Has been a bloody hectic day with printer dramas and lots of to'ing and fro'ing.

cheers
Leah

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
Thankyou Leah  beers :-* beers
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Bucket
[May 20, 2024, 09:12:03 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 19, 2024, 11:49:07 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker