collapse

Author Topic: Heading to the Harts Ranges  (Read 29739 times)

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
Re: Heading to the Harts Ranges
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
Spoke to a fellow ALFer tonight who visited the Harts Ranges last August, and he told me that some of the roads have been closed off (Bulldozed) by the Mount Riddock Station owner due to people tampering with his equipment. It was the area where the garnets are found around Old Station Well. Does anyone have any extra information about access to this spot as it is where I want to go to try and find the Kornerupine location.
Cheers, from my little piece of the Australian Outback...
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
Your only hope of getting past the bulldosed heaps would be to ask the owner but he was pretty firm with a no when I asked 2years ago. Kong Bore was ok, but might not be now as it has an exploration license on it. Maybe others have made tracks around the heaps but me personally I'd be respecting the owners wishes. We were disappointed we couldn't visit the Old Station Well area, as it was the aquamarine spot my daughter really wanted to visit. The owner said it was 4wds continually needing rescuing that caused the heaps, there was also a pump stolen from Kong Bore from memory but that didn't cause the area to be closed.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 11:06:43 PM »
Makky, did you call into Mount Riddock and talk to the owner, or did you phone him to find out this info?
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 12:30:59 AM »
Makky, did you call into Mount Riddock and talk to the owner, or did you phone him to find out this info?
I rang before hand and talked with the old bloke asking permission for Kong Bore, but then met his son?or inlaw with a truck full of cattle out in the Entia Valley who I had a good chat to. I asked again if Kong Bore was ok and inquired about Old Station Well. He was less than impressed with 4wders and first thought that's what we were doing, he was quite friendly once he realized we were fossicking. But very firm with a no in regard to Old Station well. And gave me plenty of details about past issues etc etc.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 12:55:46 AM by MakkyBrown »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
On the Maps I have here, the only Way to Old Station Well is by Chopper now... Lol... May-be we could pool our $$$ and buy one... Droo

Another Area Lost from Peoples Actions....

Gemster.... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 10:51:08 PM »
I might have to cross that area off the list. Just have to stay an extra day in Entia Valley and try and find the sphenes instead.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
Sphenes?  ??? What are They?

Gemster....

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
Trevor ,
Hope you can find the sphene . I bought one from the Gemtree shop on avisit about 15 years ago
A beautiful stone . On my last visit to Gemtree about 5 years ago was told that no-one that they knew ( including the previous owner of Gemtree park ( Graham ?)  had found sphene in recent years
but certainly worth looking for. BTW I have another sphene that I bought in Sydney a few years ago and was told it had been found in the Broken Hill area. Is that possible ?
Good hunting
John

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
Thanks for answering my Question... :-\

Gemster... beers

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
Thanks Leah ;).....

Gemster... beers

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
The sphenes were over in Entia Valley at the southern end near Spriggs Bore. They are associated with the albite feldspar crystals at site 34. Apparently this location is hard to find as it is all overgrown with waist high grass.

As for the sphene around Broken Hill, there is a spot on Huonville Station where we collected some nice olive green crystals - up to around 3cm in size - about ten years ago. Again, we can't get on to it as the station owner has closed the station to everyone, thanks to some yahoo's on motorbikes.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:45:42 PM by darttrev68 »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Might have to add that one to the List... Didn't even know 'What' they were till a few days ago... ::)

Gemster....

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 11:28:04 PM »
The sphenes were over in Entia Valley at the southern end near Spriggs Bore. They are associated with the albite feldspar crystals at site 34. Apparently this location is hard to find as it is all overgrown with waist high grass.

As for the sphene around Broken Hill, there is a spot on Huonville Station where we collected some nice olive green crystals - up to around 3cm in size - about ten years ago. Again, we can't get on to it as the station owner has closed the station to everyone, thanks to some yahoo's on motorbikes.
Very nice crystals :) A lot of the spots in Entia Valley are hard to find, the Iolite spot between Shaws and Valley Bore is gone, filled in by flooding. You can roughly pick where it was but need a lot of time to start digging test holes.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »
Anyone heading out to Harts Range would be pleased to know that the NT Government has just released  'Fossicking in the NT' on a very handy USB....  And Yes They are Free... just request one with your mailing address and they will send you one... I ordered mine last Thursday and it arrived Today... Postage must run better Downhill.... ;D ;D

Here is the Email address.....    titles.info@nt.gov.au        and provide your mailing address...

Most the Maps on the USB are easily obtained off the Net. But the New Maps come with GPS co-ords on all boundaries so No excuses where you are... and a lot of handy info on Fossicking in the NT too...

Shame other State Governments don't promote Fossicking like the NT does and come up with these great ideas... ::)     Mmmmm may have to re-think this comment ::)

Gemster... beers

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:21:18 PM by Gemster »

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[Today at 07:50:49 AM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 19, 2024, 11:49:07 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker